• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't get drop checker to show green

Sean Bugeja

Seedling
Hi everyone. I have a problem I can't solve. Just set up my planted aquarium with co2 after an absence of 2 yrs. No matter how much co2 I'm pumping into the aquarium the drop checker won't turn green

I've tested all the hardware (including the co2 tank?) in my friend's established tank and it works perfectly. Even my drop checker with the same liquid turned green in his tank

I'm running a 300litre tank with sump 7.2 pH and kh 15. No surface agitation at all.

My only theory left is that the water chemistry in the tank (being a new tank) is interfering with the drop checker liquid.

What's ur take on what's going on.? Anubias can be seen forming oxygen bubbles where there is damage. does this mean that plants are getting enough co2? HELP

I assume your circulation rate is at least 3000litres per hour ? if you are to stand any chance of getting and keeping CO2 levels up. With a sump (and massive tank) you will require absolutely massive CO2 injection rate, as all the sump pumping and sloshing and moving degasses the CO2. Your drop checker is probably perfectly ok, but your losses are just too great for any CO2 to register.

Water chemistry does not affect a drop checker, that's why you have them, the bromomethyl blue indicator is isolated from the tank water and its chemistry.

To confirm CO2 levels, using a pH pen (not test kit) measure the pH before CO2 on and just before lights come on. A drop of one unit pH indicates a lovely optimal 30ppm CO2 level.

Some people aim for a green drop checker, some people aim for 1 unit pH drop, both excellent ways of confirming 30ppm CO2 levels.

Does that mean I should switch to a cannister? I'm seeing oxygen streams coming from my anubias. Does that indicate plants are well??

Anubias can be seen forming oxygen bubbles where there is damage. does this mean that plants are getting enough co2?

If you mean 'Holes in leaves' then yes not enough CO2

Are you using a reactor? if not are the CO2 bubbles getting pushed all around the tank?

No surface agitation at all.

not good as how will the tank get 02 at night or degas its CO2

Heres my BPs rate

which turns my DC yellow/green

Does that mean I should switch to a cannister?

No - means you havnt got it right for your sump, But a canister will use less CO2

I'm seeing oxygen streams coming from my anubias. Does that indicate plants are well??

I've been there and if the bubbles are coming from a single point on the leaf where there is damage like a hole its more lickly a sign of damaged leaves. Plus if its streams from the leaves I would of thought the Tank turnover/flow needs looking at as if the flow is good enough the bubbles dont stream.

Are you using a reactor? if not are the CO2 bubbles getting pushed all around the tank?

Not using a reactor but ordered one should be installed by next week. I can see a mist of micro bubbles all around the thank but still blue

Back