• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cant keep CRS!!!

samc

in the last month or so i bought 3 CRS for my 30l nano and all was well until a few weeks after one suddenly died i then did a large water change and they seemed ok again. then the next week another died and was then worried what was going on did another water change (RO water again) and seemed ok again until today i realised that the last one had died and am now very annoyed.
water is as follows:
NO3 40ppm
NO2 0ppm
GH 12d
KH 4d
pH 6.8
C02 was slightly over what it should be.
dosing is 2.5ml EI mix and 2ml easycarbo
i was feeding them tetra granuels by the recomended amounts (2 per shrimp per day)
there was also plently on algae in there too.
i want more but not until im certian as theyre great

what was wrong????

Might be your Easy carbo. I have heard of some having problems with EC/Excel and shrimp. I think that's what killed off my original cherry shrimp in a small tank I had running last year. Also, Dan has just lost a couple of CRS to what I think he put down to an EC overdose I think :(

Still, 2ml in 30L doesn't sound like too much, but it could be building up untill water change...

CRS and Cherries are both fine with easycarbo IME as long as you DON'T overdose, I have had mine well over a year now with now problems dosing DIY TPN+ or easycarbo :)

JOHNNY

what temp you keep the tank at?
could also be co2 poisoning since you say you over dosed.
but most likely ec over dosing, i only dose tpn+ in my shrimp tank and no co2 or ec.

temp of the tank is about 20deg i didnt think it woud be co2 as not much was getting to the bottom TBH i think ill trya couple of amanos soon without dosing EC and see how they get on and ill also lower the CO2.

im starting to think it was a combination of both co2 and EC

thanks LD

Dosing EC (according to instructions) should be 1ml per 50ltrs or max 2ml per 50ltrs for heavily planted aquraia. So 2 ml per 30ltrs is over the top, you're almost double dosing assuming its a daily dose!!

Not saying that's the cause, but food for thought.

I was just looking at EasyCarbo's instructions...

Dosage
Tanks with minimal plants - 1ml per 100 litres
Tanks with fair amount of plants - 1ml per 50 litres
Tanks with large amount of plants - 1ml per 25 litres

I'm now a little scared for when I get my CRS for my 14 ltr. There's only about 10 ltrs of water in there, so even at the suggested "fair amount" I should only dose 0.2ml per day. I'm currently at 1ml (but no livestock in there).
I think I'll have to reduce my EC dosing when they come in.

Has anyone looked at the co2 content within EC? I mean, how much ppm of co2 is in each ml? That might help us?

Having a hunt around RE easy carbo I came across this...

1 ppm glutaral (maximum dosage of EC per day) generates 2.2 mg/l CO2 and consumes around 2 mg/l O2. So be carefull not to bottom out on O2. Some people here in Germany lost shrimp and fish due to to much Easy Carbo and O2 deficiency. Only dose Easy Carbo when the lights are on.

Post #16 from...http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/e ... tance.html

From that not only does easy carbo supply co2 to the water but it uses up o2 in there. Maybe the red bit should be adhered to?

thats interesting could be why my DC is allways over when im hardly putting ang co2 in the tank. im gonna try leaving the co2 for a while then when i get some more see how they go. maybe with shrimp if you have co2 injection your best off not dosing at all

Superman said:
I was just looking at EasyCarbo's instructions...

Dosage
Tanks with minimal plants - 1ml per 100 litres
Tanks with fair amount of plants - 1ml per 50 litres
Tanks with large amount of plants - 1ml per 25 litres

My EasyCarbo instructs different doses! As mentioned earlier it's quote:

"1ml per 50 litres per day, with a maximum of 2ml per 50 litres per day in aquariums with lot of plants. Higher dosage levels are highly inadvisable"

My EC is new (only arrived this week from AE) it does say "professional" on the label so maybe this is more concentrate?

samc said:
i was thinking the same simon mine says the same as yours
I'm glad you concur, thought I was going mad or lost the ability to read and interpret :lol:

All,

I put a copy of my email to them and also the response from easy life...

Hi,

I have happily been using Easy Carbo for nearly a year now in my planted aquariums and intend to use it in a new setup which has a volume of about 10 litres. At the minute I am dosing 1ml per day but will need to change that once livestock is added to the aquarium.

I intend to keep Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS) in this aquarium and many people at the UK Aquatic Plant Society (UKAPS, http://www.ukaps.org) have kept them whilst using Easy Carbo as a source of carbon for their plants.

I have come across some information to suggest that …

"1 ppm glutaral (maximum dosage of EC per day) generates 2.2 mg/l CO2 and consumes around 2 mg/l O2. So be carefull not to bottom out on O2. Some people here in Germany lost shrimp and fish due to to much Easy Carbo and O2 deficiency. Only dose Easy Carbo when the lights are on."

Reference: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/e ... tance.html post number 16.

I would appreciate it if you could confirm or deny that quote, including if I should only dose Easy Carbo when the lights are on. Could you also explain why (if so) that using Easy Carbo uses up oxygen within the water of the aquarium.

There has been some discussions in the society with regards to the loss of shrimp when people use Easy Carbo and whilst overdosing with Easy Carbo could be an issue due to increased carbon, it also suggests that it lowers oxygen in the water, causing oxygen deficiencies. To counter this, would you suggest that the surface irrigation is increased?

In addition, do you have any guidelines on using Easy Carbo when keeping shrimp?

I shall also share the information you send to me to the other members of UKAPS.

Kind Regards,
Clark Lawson

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our Easy-Life products.

It is clear that every planted aquarium should have enough oxygen, because plants use up a large portion of it during the night. However, at day time the plants give some oxygen back to the system. In other words there are periods during the day when oxygen levels are down, simply due to the fact that plants absorb a lot of it. This might explain why some tanks are borderline concerning O2 levels. By adding fertilizer products, which always use up some oxygen as well (for example through oxidation), some tanks can experience O2 deficiency. Fish are gasping for air, etcetera. Of course, you can move the water surface a bit harder to increase O2 concentration in the water. Not too hard though, because you would loose a lot of carbon dioxide this way.

When an aquarium has normal oxygen levels, then the use of EasyCarbo is no problem. If you wish to be careful (when having shrimps or other inverts), then try half a dosage of EasyCarbo. Many times this dosage is already enough to do the job in the tank. It would be best to add EasyCarbo during optimal assimilation, when oxygen levels are high and plants maximize their uptake of nutrients.

If EasyCarbo would, as you suggested, generate CO2 in the water, then the pH would be affected. But the pH is not impacted by the product. What EasyCarbo contains are carbon compounds which plants readily absorb through their cell membranes. These compounds are then converted into useful building blocks for plant growth.

If you have further questions, then just let me know.

Best regards,

From that it suggests that the recommended doses are a bit OTT already?

Back