• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Caribsea Samurai Soil?

FISHnLAB

Hi guys, has anyone tried Caribsea's Samurai Soil? How does it compare to other quality aquasoils like ADA, Tropica, UNS? I can't seam to find a ton of info on it but, it is easier to get then some of the others for me. Thanks.

caribsea-samurai-soil-by-caribsea (1).jpg

Hi all,
I can't seam to find a ton of info on it
Not a very <"informative web site">. I'm going to assume that they don't contain any nutrients, but presumably have some CEC (because of the "promotes neutral to acidic pH" bit). I think it must be similar to moler clay which <"has been acid washed?">. I'm guessing they would be absolutely fine, but not really an aqua soil. I'd love to know what they are made of, I was going to say that they look a bit unnatural, but ta da........

Why didn't you go for "Samurai Soil™ Multi-Color"? It says "Maroon, black, and white spheres (1 mm approx.) are a beautiful and functional backdrop for shrimp and planted aquaria". What is not to like there?

Samurai-Soil-sample-Multi-Color.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Ive always wanted that "spilled osmocote into the tank" look 😍 Im going to import a pallet of this "substance" ASAP, shall I put you down for a few bags then @dw1305
I may have to pass on that very kind offer, I'm not sure it is quite me. Although I may have a <"DIY alternative">, which may even be cheaper?
I could write some <"advertising for them">, but <"RENA never took me up on my offer">, and no-one has offered since.

A few years ago I did consider going into <"the substrate business">, but I'd need something a <"lot more colourful">.

4722561004_6d2c075a38_b-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all of the reply's guys👍.

So I guess I should pass on it then guys? And, just go for a more common soil?

Too bad as it's very easy for me to get compared to other options. Here in Canada apparently the two shotiest aquasoils Fluval Stratum and Caribsea Samurai Soil are the easiest to get(often the cheapest too when it comes to to Stratum at least). I can get the Samurai Soil, right from Waterbox, added to my new aquarium shipment(free shipping) so it would have been perfect. Oh well, I guess I will have to go back to trying to source some ADA, Tropica, or UNS. Man I hate where I live(hopefully going to change this soon)...

Could always join the sand crew, we even have @plantnoobdude now 🤩😊
You may one day pull me into the fold Hufsa😁.

I just want to do aquasoil on my first big setup as I will probably be adding plants, moving plants, and maybe killing plants😋 quite often and aquasoil seams like a better option for that. I also want the absolute fastest and lushest growth possible for the first while anyway(I'm an impatient grower and like trimming). Getting some first hand experience with quality aquasoil is important to me as well so I can observe the differences between inert substrates, sand or gravel topped terrestrial soil Walstad Style, & Aquasoil. I'm using Seachem Flourite Black Gravel in all my tanks now so clay based inert is checked off the list. I'd also like to try aquasoil topped with coarse sand one day...

I think maybe Caribsea was after an aquasoil version of ADA's aqua gravel. It looks similar albeit more artificial(just like all aquasoils really)...
aqua-gravel.jpg

Hi all,
Are you guys talking just sand alone?
I just use silica sand, usually <"play sand">. I mix a minimal amount of clay and leaf mold in, but if I <"don't have any to hand?"> I don't worry too much.

I want a low nutrient substrate, because I want to <"run the tanks as lean as possible">.
When I set up a new tank I just mix a small amount (5 - 10% by volume) of the PYO soil, with a similar proportion of Beech (Fagus sylvatica) leaf mold and ~90% silica sand.
Once the tank is setup I don't tend to do much gardening and I aim to leave the <"substrate pretty much undisturbed">.
The uncertainty about what is happening in the sediment was one of the reasons for mainly talking about what might be happening in the <"rhizosphere"> the zone of fluctuating REDOX values, where exudates from the root will be altering the physical, chemical and microbial composition of the substrate.

In the <"Influence of submerged macrophytes, temperature, and nutrient loading on the development of redox potential around the sediment–water interface in lakes"> it mentions that their experimental plants didn't have much radial oxygen loss.

I'd guess that if they had used Cyperus spp, <"Phragmites australis">, Nelumbo sp. or an <"Amazon Sword"> (Echinodorus spp) etc. that their findings may have been slightly different.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Don't you guys find that it limits your success?

I know not everyone's version of success is the same in the planted tank realm but, I have read from multiple sources including Dennis Wong that using soil(whether capped terrestrial or plain aqua) vs not is game changing and the difference in results is easily measureable. Can one really still achieve a world class dutch style scape with just sand alone? Does it not limit the growth of heavy root feeders? Do you guys use root tabs or routinely add any nutes to the sand? What are other negatives to this approach? Is one just sacrificing results for savings?

I'm not trying to disparage the sand only approach and definitely plan to try it one day, I am just trying to learn and get a feel for the pros and cons of each type of substrate approach. Thanks for the input guys and helping me learn👍.

Hi all,

I just use silica sand, usually <"play sand">. I mix a minimal amount of clay and leaf mold in, but if I <"don't have any to hand?"> I don't worry too much.

I want a low nutrient substrate, but because I want to <"run the tanks as lean as possible">.

Once the tank is setup I don't tend to do much gardening and I aim to leave the <"substrate pretty much undisturbed">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the detailed post Darrel, your posts are always so helpful with all the links👍. It's funny, I am just in the process of learning about redox and plan to get a meter eventually. It sure seams like an under talked about or studied thing in this hobby that is of great importance but, I am still learning.

Back