• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carnivorous plants

Hi all, It is close to <"Drosera capensis">, long leaf and purple flower.

cheers Darrel
Good shout Darrell
79bfa083638b7ee223a493620a32fcc6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Venus fly trap died
Didn’t last long at all
Think it got given tap water which is liquid cement
So been out and bought this
No instructions but I presume only RO or deionised water ?
Does the soil need to be
Moist
Damp
Wet
1e33c03a26787b59c0d64230baa3e9ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
No instructions but I presume only RO or deionised water ?
Does the soil need to be
Moist
Damp
Wet
Yes soft water, rain-water would do and <"keep it wet in the summer">.

The main problem with Pitcher plants (Sarracenia spp.) is that they need a cold winter. Sarracenia purpurea (and S. flava) are actually <"invasive aliens"> on some peat bogs in NW Europe.

cheers Darrel

Yes it's an IKEA JANSJÖ LED work lamp... Some folk reckon its colour temp is a little on the warm side but I think it's fine and perfect for Wabi-Kusa as well.
Hi Tim, what is the light spread like on these little lamps please? I recently made up a 30cm diameter succulent pot and I think it needs additional light, I’d prefer to use something tried and tested so if it’ll be up to the task I’ll pick one up. Do you have it on for a set photoperiod or just use it as a booster for short periods?

Thanks,

Hi Ady, when the light is positioned at its highest the actual spot light spread is around 34cm in diameter shining on to my cabinet surface. I guess whether it's suitable for your pot depends on how tall it is. But obviously there is spill outside of that. Mine isn't on a timer, I just switch it on first thing and turn it off last thing at night, so it's on all day.

Hi Ady, when the light is positioned at its highest the actual spot light spread is around 34cm in diameter shining on to my cabinet surface. I guess whether it's suitable for your pot depends on how tall it is. But obviously there is spill outside of that. Mine isn't on a timer, I just switch it on first thing and turn it off last thing at night, so it's on all day.
Thanks Tim, not tall, it’s a shallow pot with relitively small succulents....

7A993CE7-31AD-47EC-99A1-87958E486121.jpeg

I’ll try and get one ordered as they are seeking light and stretching out......I know it’s not a co2 issue :lol:

Last edited:
I love a good succulent bowl and that looks lovely mate.
I keep a lot of succulents in really dark corners of the house and just put them in the sun for a day once a week.
I think yours should maintain form in this way but the aeonium? types (the ones that look like flower heads) can get more leggy and tall.

That looks amazing.
Thanks Tim, that was just after planting and some of them have stretched out a bit now, I may trim them.
I love a good succulent bowl and that looks lovely mate.
I keep a lot of succulents in really dark corners of the house and just put them in the sun for a day once a week.
I think yours should maintain form in this way but the aeonium? types (the ones that look like flower heads) can get more leggy and tall.

Yeah they are nice to have and I thought they would be an easy addition but again once you stay looking into it I’ve made a few mistakes mainly regards drainage. Some of them have stretched out already and without turning the bowl you can see them leaning towards the light. Some of the redder ones have also lost intensity. I’m going to try a lamp as it doesn’t fit on a window sill however I guess I could put it outside on occasion to get the sun.

CAD4E8E7-B301-49F1-B55F-52A3846ADBD9.jpeg

One of the kids favourites that they call ‘Shreks ears’ :lol:.....

C20A82E7-E4BB-4729-86CD-8DB11E2DD6D0.jpeg

Cheerio,

The Nephentes hybrid :) Unfortunately in our climate the cups are not very long living, but always a couple of months before they start to dry at the tip.
But is actualy a quite fast grwoing and happy plant.
DSC_0852.JPG

This is it's latest new cup, i regularly feed it some flies, i cacth it or if i find a dead one its dropped in. The cups and actualy the intire plant also develops drops of a sweet resin on the cups and the stem, to attract insects.
DSC_0855.jpg

You often read that the hood is for preventing rain water from falling in and flooding the cup. But that i do not realy believe it makes no sense.
If you look at baby cups, they start out closed and stay closed till its about 5cm in size and about 10mm in diameter. Than it also has developed some fluid inside. My theory is, it stays closed till its big enough and gathered enough digestive sap before it opens. Not preventing it to flood, but preventing the degistive fluid to evaporate prematurely. Once the cup is big enough, to sustain and reproduce enough sap before all evaporates it opens up and ready to feed.. :)
DSC_0854.JPG

The Nephentes hybrid :) Unfortunately in our climate the cups are not very long living, but always a couple of months before they start to dry at the tip.
Mine do the same, I have a couple of hybrid Nepenthes that used to grow lots of pitchers in my old house, but have only made one or two random pitchers since I moved house in 2014 :/. It's good that the air in my house isn't very humid...but I do low-key hope the next place I live has higher humidity levels for my plants :lol:.
You often read that the hood is for preventing rain water from falling in and flooding the cup. But that i do not realy believe it makes no sense.
If you look at baby cups, they start out closed and stay closed till its about 5cm in size and about 10mm in diameter. Than it also has developed some fluid inside. My theory is, it stays closed till its big enough and gathered enough digestive sap before it opens. Not preventing it to flood, but preventing the degistive fluid to evaporate prematurely. Once the cup is big enough, to sustain and reproduce enough sap before all evaporates it opens up and ready to feed.. :)
Interesting observation, I've read that in all my CP books and see it on forums frequently too, but I totally agree with your thoughts.
Iain Sutherland said:
Couple of mine in the afternoon sun.. loads of seeds again so may try propagating this year if I find the time
Wow Iain, those are both fantastic displays! Do you move the Sarracenia outside for a dormancy during the winter? That's what I plan to do, as it works very well with my VFTs, but I can never get Sarracenia seeds to germinate after stratifying in my fridge :(. I have some hybrid seeds sitting in some peat moss at the back of my fridge now actually, but if you ever have any spare fresh seeds, I'd gladly buy them from you!
My little window box succulents have finally flowered today..
What species of succulent is that flowering btw?

My Drosera anglica "Hawaii" and D.tokaiensis have just started putting out flower spikes this year, I'll try share some pictures of their tiny flowers here if when get the chance (I need to get another proper macro lens lol...).

It's that wonderful time of year in my house when the circle of life, in it's full horror, displays itself on my conservatory floor.

My Sarracenia pitchers are beautiful in spring and early summer but as summer progresses the pitchers over fill with flies. The over full pitcher stems begin rot, as they do so they buckle over spilling out what I can only describe as Satan's vomit.

Unwitting insects climb in to the pitchers with no escape and given the pitchers are pretty full the bugs they dont get digested for a number of days... the first consequence of this is all the pitchers buzz away to the sound of impending death day and night... its particularly interesting if a bumble bees gets enticed. The second consequence however, is that the flies lay eggs...no doubt a desperate endeavor in the knowledge their end is nigh.

So back to Satans vomit... a lovely mix of various insects at different states of digestion, all mixed in some form of bug soup, topped off with the remaining dechevaled looking live insects and innumerable maggots...
Add to that, it genuinely smells like rotting corpses.
Enjoy your dinner

72ff99ff86e72b9545cd17089422f221.jpg

So back to Satans vomit... a lovely mix of various insects at different states of digestion, all mixed in some form of bug soup, topped off with the remaining dechevaled looking live insects and innumerable maggots...
Add to that, it genuinely smells like rotting corpses.
Enjoy your dinner
emoji1785.png
:eek::sick: :dead:
Thanks for sharing Iain...:meh:

Back