Carnivorous plants

zozo

Nephentes going mental.. :) Was a good choice to hang in the dome from the skylight.. It seems to love that place, good climate.. It made over 7 new cups during this summer and it developing a flower. It's a first timer for me, make it survive and thrive for 2 years now.. Finaly found the perfect living room spot for it.. :cool:
DSC_0002.jpg

Care regime is dimineralized water, what it occasinaly catches itself or what i can swat i drop in the cups..

zozo

It seems when it svery happy, it attracks flies. 90% of the flies in the house hang around this plant. And this year it seems i have more flies in the hous than normal. It's developing some resin drops all over.. It doesn't smell but flies come and go for it. Also yet not seen this before.. Matter of change i guess, but also yet not seen a fly go or fall into one of the cups.

The seemingly tastefull resin droplets on the cup.
DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0009.jpg

3 flies munching a droplet on the cup stem. Bizar strategy actualy, the fly luring opportunistic plant.
DSC_0008.jpg

Amazing.. :)

Here is a already pretty semi mature cup, still with a closed hood. That's how i came upon the theory, the hood aint an umbrella preventing rain to fall in.
It prevents the sap in the still immature cup to evaporate.. Once enough sap to operate as trap it opens up.. :) Each cup contains about 3 to 5ml digestive juice before it opens up depending on its size. Some cups open at a smaller size..
DSC_0007.jpg

:)

alto

Just saw this on Tropica FB feed from Newengland Aquarist

Wabikusa bowl filled with plant Soil and planted with Montecarlo as carpeting plant and Ludwigia palustris for midground contrast and Venus fly trap as carnivorous highlight.

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
Staff member
Just saw this on Tropica FB feed from Newengland Aquarist

Wabikusa bowl filled with plant Soil and planted with Montecarlo as carpeting plant and Ludwigia palustris for midground contrast and Venus fly trap as carnivorous highlight.
I'd guess this was grown without the venus flytrap and added at the end for the photo... the nutrients required for the aquatic plants to grow would kill the carnivorous one surely..?!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alto

Apparently the Venus fly trap has been in for over 3 months (despite shop person stating it’d be lucky to survive 2 weeks) - re NEA Instagram comments
:)

alto

I scrolled though and looks like the MC carpet was established before adding the Venus FT

I have the shop person’s predicted experience with these plants :(
I guess I just need to do a Wabi bowl first :D

ETA notice you got the LIKES! for naysaying :eek:
:lol: