• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet Question

Derek Tweedie

Hi guys got a question about a carpet that I would like to attempt to grow. Looking for a sturdy plant that will carpet. The reason im asking is I have African Filter Shrimp who is quite cumbersome when walking and I think that he would rip up the likes of HC. Has anyone got any tips or suggestions?

Plant a hair grass deep? HC wouldn't hold if that's the case, as its hard enough to get down and stay put as it is.

Could try planting The HC with a decent amount of fibrewool still attached to try hold it down if you were willing to give it a go?

My HC (once established) is so dense that it is springy to the touch - and it copes with my Assassins going for the occasional "plough" through as they seek out the last remaining snails!

no co2 required for riccia buddy. Darren doesnt use fertz or co2, runs his tank lowtech. :) Although he has just bought some NPK and Excel. I know that this ricca has been grown before he got them though. Riccia is great for low tech, I even have it pearling in my triptych tanks with no co2. Its great stuff

yep jacks right no CO2 nothing !! really happy with it, its growing extremely well and looking amazing nice and bright and healthy !!

Staurogyne repens is very sturdy (not a great example abit patchy and needs a trim)
IMG_20121121_213241_zps186508ce.jpg

Hi guys I got a couple of pots of HC from my local GC. Its tropica stuff so am right to believe that it has been grown emersed? The reason I ask this is that I have experienced some melt but there are new shoots is this normal? It is growing though. I dose 5ml LC daily but no CO2. The tank is L15xD12xH15 (inches) and is lit by 2 grobeam led strips and it has an APS HOB filter. The lights are on for 8 hours a day with 90 minute ramp. Am I just worrying over nothing?

Back