• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet without pressurised co2..

Tom_Austin

Which way would you go, for a carpet without pressurised co2?

1. Dirt/soil capped with Tropica aquarium soil and liquid ferts
  2. Tropica aquarium soil with liquid carbon and liquid ferts.
Added...Carpet maybe Eleocharis parvula, Micranthemum monte carlo or Echinodorus tenellus.

Any help much appreciated.

Tom

Last edited:
I feel the question comming "What carpet are you planning to grow?".. :)

Low tech tank experiment (30cm cube)
Tropica GS
Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder
filtered sunlight, ~10 - 12cm water (more accessible CO2), no filter, room temperature ~22C

Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' formed quite a nice light carpet in a couple weeks, then filled in over the next weeks - I suppose it was "dense" after a couple months
I filled the tank adding a small filter (cycled media) & some shrimp after the couple weeks "start"

There were other "easy" & "medium" Tropica plants in the tank as well - everything did surprisingly well
MC easily outgrew the E 'mini'

Echinodorus tenellus. - I'd expect this to grow quite a bit taller, it's a very different green than the MC

I use Tropica fertilzers but kept forgetting to add any to this tank

If you're going to use misc "dirt" rather than aquarium designed substrate, I'd add in a "capping" layer - just the Tropica Powder will still allow quite a lot of water column access as it won't "cap" in the same manner as sand/fine gravel, though if it's a small experimental tank without expensive livestock, give it a go :)

Out of your 1 & 2, I'd just go with 2 ;)
I use Tropica's GS as tap water is pretty much "rain water"

Cheers alto.

If there is no growth benefit to dirt, will probably try liquid carbon, less potential mess.

Regarding capping, I thought the Tropica soil being light would stay on top and not migrate down below dirt. Doesn't sand/gravel being heavier, eventually end up on the bottom with dirt on top, does your Tropica growth substrate stay below sand/gravel cap long term?

Regarding liquid carbon, is it necessary to dose everyday or is that just recommend for maximum growth. What happens if you miss a day or two(or more)?

Thanks

Tom

Good luck with your project, growing a carpet without added C02 is going to be challenge.
I have seen a few tanks that have managed it though, it would seem a decomposing soil base can work very well!
Maybe a dry start will help get the roots established but don't expect a full carpet in a few months, I think it will take some patience and some time.
Have you read Troys thread about soil based tanks?

Good luck with your project, growing a carpet without added C02 is going to be challenge.
I have seen a few tanks that have managed it though, it would seem a decomposing soil base can work very well!
Maybe a dry start will help get the roots established but don't expect a full carpet in a few months, I think it will take some patience and some time.
Have you read Troys thread about soil based tanks?
Cheers, yep have read the dirty thread.
Cheers for link, will have a read later.
Regarding liquid carbon, is it necessary to dose everyday or is that just recommend for maximum growth. What happens if you miss a day or two(or more)?
Any help on this one :)

Last edited:
Garden centre dirt/soil capped with coarse sand...
You can grow many types of carpets in low tech given the rest of the factors are right(requires good light, flow and ferts too)...Grassy plants and and small crypts will have absolutely no problem but others do well too. Here was my choice at the time but it became too much work so I ripped them off eventually..

Tank8_zps26bf3f8d.jpg

63094ee3-3ed1-4417-aeff-05ef8ceaa0bd_zpsjglwt34w.jpg

Last edited:
Back