• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpeting plants choice

84Reasons

I have what tropica class as medium level light so need something not too demanding but what I want is for two species , one with a bigger "leaf" than the other as I'd like to sort of fade them.
I've heard Monte Carlo and Cuba are good for this but one of the requires a lot of light and I'm not sure mine will cut it. Any suggestions welcome.

I used
  • Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' - carpet
  • Lilaeopsis brasiliensis 'micro swords' - carpet
  • Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' - carpet
Two years on

upload_2019-8-11_20-29-59-png.png

Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' didnt like the dry start so had to replant that on flooding.

MC and HC do tend to lift from the substrate if they arent kept well trimmed (esp HC) and HC does have rather shallow roots and the MC does tend to take over the HC carpet IME

I grew monte carlo under 20w floodlights in my last tank.

I think it's Cuba that requires more light, I've grown Monte Carlo as a non carpeting plant before and it did well.

I used
Two years on

upload_2019-8-11_20-29-59-png.png

Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' didnt like the dry start so had to replant that on flooding.

MC and HC do tend to lift from the substrate if they arent kept well trimmed (esp HC) and HC does have rather shallow roots and the MC does tend to take over the HC carpet IME

Carpet looks amazing mate! I've followed your whole journal and it was a journey to say the least!

I assume you got on well with Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' then? As this is one of the options I was considering, to just have this as the sole carpet but wasn't sure if I'd get the same sense of depth as I would using two different ones.

I've followed your whole journal and it was a journey to say the least!

Thank you :D

I assume you got on well with Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' then?

Yes its been Great IMO- recovers quick after trim whilst the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis takes some time to bounce back after trim.

Dont go for Helanthium tenellum 'Green' as it will take over the tank its so aggressive, Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' isnt no way as aggressive as the green.

A mixed carpet gives more of a natural look IMO

Yes its been Great IMO- recovers quick after trim whilst the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis takes some time to bounce back after trim.

Dont go for Helanthium tenellum 'Green' as it will take over the tank its so aggressive, Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' isnt no way as aggressive as the green.

Ah so you aren't going from one plant to another in the carpet you are actually interspersing each plant throughout the whole carpet ? So the whole thing is mixed. Cool that they can still carpet across different plants .

I can't find any of the Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' online anywhere, if you were to carpet with EA mini, what other plant would you use? Maybe the mom mini version, the default dwarf hairgrass?

Another question, how do you deal with different growth rates if they're all amongst each other?

actually interspersing each plant throughout the whole carpet ? So the whole thing is mixed.

Yes :thumbup:

Helanthium tenellum 'Brown'

I can always seen you some ( snail warning) you dont need much of it. I just added one small pot I got it from aquarium gardens

how do you deal with different growth rates if they're all amongst each other?

adds to the natural feel of the tank as one gets taller than the other and the trim resets it. Also some do better in some areas dependant on light levels at the carpet OFC. I have had to have a big removal of Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' one in two years just pluked them out and runners when they did well near the glass

Yes :thumbup:

I can always seen you some ( snail warning) you dont need much of it. I just added one small pot I got it from aquarium gardens

adds to the natural feel of the tank as one gets taller than the other and the trim resets it. Also some do better in some areas dependant on light levels at the carpet OFC. I have had to have a big removal of Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' one in two years just pluked them out and runners when they did well near the glass

Sounds like a good idea tbh. I see what you mean about the natural feel. Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely consider it I'm just a bit wary considering your snail warning! Haha. Strange that I can't find it on AG , seeing as that's where you got it from!

you could always treat it with some eSHa Gastropex with it in a small glass for a couple of weeks ;)
Good shout but I want to get this new scape setup either friday or saturday next week, so would want it ready to grow in from the get go as much as possible. I might just intersperse it with some of the normal hairgrass to achieve the natural look you were talking about!

I had my Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis 'micro swords' in a DSM for about 12weeks then added the Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' on flooding as the Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' I added in the DSM died.
How well did the micro swords grow?

How well did the micro swords grow?

They grew well and still do and tend to take over a bit but not in an aggressive way until trimming the mini grass gets the advantage for a while, a lot will depend on the light levels OFC to hard to predict for sure ;)

They grew well and still do and tend to take over a bit but not in an aggressive way until trimming the mini grass gets the advantage for a while, a lot will depend on the light levels OFC to hard to predict for sure ;)
It's a shame as I can't find these either!

Oh I was searching for micro swords that's why!
Looks decent, might try growing this with the mini hairgrass. Reckon it requires roughly the same demands?

Alright it does. Nice beautiful looking carpet you have there.

By the way how fast does your carpet grow? and what about maintenance? Also does it grow thick? I am planning a shallow tank and wanted to use several species of Eriocaulon for carpeting but now I am wondering if one of the below plants could be added to the mix or would they over grow the Eriocaulon?

Back