• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpeting plants

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi guys,

I have got bored of glosso lol been in the tank too long now!! I am not a fan of HC (as I can't keep it alive in my tank).
Can you guys recommend a nice carpeting plant that spreads pretty easy and fast which is not too demanding and not too tall.

Many thanks

most of these are high light foreground plants, there must be some that grow with relatively low light, perhaps if someone knows some you could make up a low light tank?....

Edit: james has just posted!

JamesM said:
....Utricularia graminifolia...

Good luck with that! :arghh:

I always find that tenellus, hairgrass with moss stones scattered between can become a great, natural looking carpet.
And all easy to grow.

Tropica plants are available from The Green Machine or almost any Pets@Home store (most will need ordering however).

AquaFleur plants are available from Aqua Essentials or most Maidenhead Aquatics and some Pets@Home stores.

[edit]Most MA and Pets@Home will require an order beforehand as they only stock basic plants.

JamesM said:
Utricularia graminifolia...
I do like the look of this but I have read a bit about it and its pretty fussy about water parameters.
Hairgrass is hard to fill in and very slow growing, would be nice to maintain once filled in but takes many many many months to get to that stage lol
Riccia and mosses not really an option, riccia is way too high maintnance and I have tried that in the past, mosses look nice but get too "dirty" very quick as a carpet, they are best used in wood where this is some flow in my personal opinion.
Maybe tenellus not really sure about how it will look once filled in!!

P.helferi, though maybe it will get a bit too high. Just thought I'd throw it in as it's my new favourite plant :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

SteveUK said:
Staurogyne could be interesting, check out John's tank photos. Ever thought about trying to carpet hydrocotyle... I dream about doing this one day :)
I have attempeted to do this, but its a slow grower and hard to find a good amount cheap enough.

TDI-line said:
How about a carpet of Blyxa. :rolleyes:
I don't have a 700 liter tank hehehe would look silly in a tank my size ;)

JamesM said:
Tropica plants are available from The Green Machine or almost any Pets@Home store (most will need ordering however).

From what I have heard P@H are not getting plants from Tropica anymore. My closest one has already stopped and just has a few algae covered java moss caves/ferns or Anubias on bogwood left in their fish tanks.

AC

Back