• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpeting plants

hi andy,
just noticed you have your own web site now :D .good luck.
neil
edit..or maybe i'm not that observant and you've had it a while :D

JamesC said:
How about a fissiden's carpet? I've seen this done a couple of times before and it can look quite fantastic. Only problem is that it will be quite slow and also a dirt collector. Shrimp will adore it.
James

I have a fissidens wall growing on my shrimp tank :) it looks awsome but its so slow growing! Carpet would take forever and as you say would collect a lot of dirt in it :(

I've gone Staurogyne on my latest replant and it's coming along nicely. Once it grew to an inch I cut the top off and planted it next to the original. In no time at all, I have the front covered, it bushes out lovely once chopped and it doesn't grow too fast once established. It also looks good even after a chop !!

i am thinking of buying some staurogyne, well i AM going to get some more. the stuff you sent me altaaffe was amazing and it is growing nicely. however, i would like to bulk it up a bit more as i only have about 4 stems. a few more would look excellent in my new tank thats for sure.

nelson said:
ditto..mine in harlow have stopped tropica as well
neil

yeah, my local P@H in belfast hasnt stocked tropica since christmas. I've seen a few crypts there lately though, with an unbranded info card on them. Anybody any idea what brand, if any, they are? Definately not Aquafluer by the way.

I assume its cost... my LFS had said before christmas that Tropica was putting its prices up.

Dsandson

I brought some of that to try out. Really nice plant and you get a very good quantity for your money. I think you'll be happy with it but you might find it a tad tall if you are looking for a carpet type plant.

I think a lot of people and retailers are now finding that Tropica are no longer the best aquatic plants here in the UK especially after their recent price hikes. Aquafleur are half the price of Tropica and for what I've seen so far are better quality than I ever saw from Tropica. For me it's Aquafleur all the time now.

James

Thanks for the reply James, think I will try it anyway when I purchase something from AE next and see how it goes, roughly how much coverage will I get per pot? and I guess I can always keep it trimmed like grass?

LondonDragon said:
roughly how much coverage will I get per pot?

i'll pm you paulo. 1 pot split should cover 4 or 5 inch square. according to amano, you need to plant dense and close together due to it being slow growing, i used about 18 pots in my 120cm

JamesC said:
Aquafleur are half the price of Tropica and for what I've seen so far are better quality than I ever saw from Tropica. For me it's Aquafleur all the time now.

bravo and amen to that. Aquafleur are brilliant in every way.... brilliant quality, great quantities and great pricing. why pay twice as much for tropica when you can get the same or better for half the price.

It makes you wonder what Tropica is going to do?
P@H were surely the biggest retailer of their plants in the UK? Seems crazy that Tropica would just let them go.
Amazes me how Aquafleur are able to achieve the same quality at a fraction of the price, kudos to them :)

I'd also be interested to know who's doing P@Hs plants now. They look OK quality - their anubias are very nice, but they're still not as good as Tropica/Aquafleur

Sorry to take this off topic!

Back