• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpets Vs Silver Dollar

marmaladeteacake

Seedling
Hey all.

I recently developed a taste for planted tanks after having standard "fish and a plant or two" aquariums. Initial aquascaping is going fine, but any attempt to plant a carpet is thwarted by a rather grumpy silver dollar. :(
He's been around a while so i'm reluctant to get rid of him - does anyone know of a carpeting plant that he's not partial to munching on?

MT

I was hoping you wouldnt say that.................. :arghh:

Yes, they are massive herbivores, and appear to be constantly hungry! He wont eat my Amazon Swords, so i was hoping someone would know of other things he didnt like! My own (limited) research turned up nothing. Oh well, guess i'll just have to set up a new tank then.............. ;)

MT

Ive no first hand experience of silver dollars, but according to the tropica advanced search all these plants are supposed to be 'safe' with herbivorous fish.

Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia''

Anubias barteri var. angustifolia

Anubias barteri var. barteri

Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia ''1705''

Anubias barteri var. nana

Bolbitis heudelotii

Crinum calamistratum

Crinum natans

Crinum thaianum

Echinodorus osiris

Echinodorus x barthii

Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'

Microsorum pteropus

Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'

Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'

Vallisneria americana (gigantea)

Sam

Silver Dollars are lovely fish. Kept 4 in the past, all died of old age, most lived to about 12 years old. Depending on species they can be fin nippers some times. Have 3 now in a 6', bought them from a shop that has them returned since the customer did not have the space for them. I will not keep them with plants, they get large anyway, but I suppose if you supplement their diet they would probably leave the plants alone, and there's only one way to find out. :wideyed:

Thanks all - i'll keep him i think as im rather fond of him. Hes a cantankerous old sod, and im fairly sure hes clinnically neurotic................
I'll try some of those "safe" plants, and keep him fat and hope for the best!

MT

Back