• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpets with Cory?

Sacha

I have some Staurogyne Repens due to arrive today.

Ultimately, I would love to make it a big carpet.

The thing is, cory are sand- sifters. If I cover up the sand, the cory won't be as happy, will they?

Just leave a little space at the front of the tank for them. Carpets with a small patch of bare substrate in front of them look nice, in my opinion.

Good luck! Although when I had some stauro in my tank it was one of the better Cory resistant plants! Eleo mini, Marsilea etc was uprooted faster than I could replant (and ultimately had to go). They pull at my ranalisma a fair bit, but i've put this on the gravelled area of my tank now and that helps a lot :)

My stauro can withstand a 6" snowball pleco rooting about in it with only the occasional plantlet uprooted. I find it tend to root fine after a while. I struggle with him digging up many plantlets like young blyxa before it is rooted and freshly planted marsilea before it roots properly.

I was sold some pigmy corys. Not sure if that's the correct name? they are tiny and don't disturb anything. Also we have pepperd ones in a tank with light weight cat litter and plants seem ok.. I love corys they remind me Of a golden Labrador they clean anything up :D

I have a group of 5 pandas in my tank. I did contemplate pygmy corys but i was told they were a mid column shoaling fish more than a bottom dweller.

I have a group of 5 pandas in my tank. I did contemplate pygmy corys but i was told they were a mid column shoaling fish more than a bottom dweller.
Your right I have noticed that.

Stauro puts out really long, deep roots in a couple of weeks or so. I'd imagine it to be ok. New plantlets will need replanting until they take hold, but it really shouldn't take long.

pygmys feed on the bottom, mine spend most of their time rummaging in sand

IME they ain't actually that bothered. Sometimes perhaps we get a little too precious. Mine were fine rooting around amongst a carpet of mini hair grass, which incidentaly they didn't up root..

Back