• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Casualties

Pricey32

Anybody suffering an casualties due to this current uk heatwave? Lost one of my gorgeous orange and blue dwarf gouramis earlier. No obvious signs of disease and my parameters were fine the. I checked the temperature of my tank... Wow 30 degrees +.... Unplugged my heater for a while and doin a water change with some slightly cooler water. Anyone else been having issues due to this heat?

Yep , got in from work this evening , only to find my water temperature at nearly 28c , good job today is water change day :)

It aint usualy the temperature, 30 degrees is still high but can be done and not uncommon in tropical regions. Make sure you have surface agitation or an airstone. What discomforts fish the most at such high temps is the higher gass exchange and probably a lack of oxygene. Last year we had over 3 weeks such a massive idiot heatwave, even putting bottles with frozen water in the tank was only 1 hour relief.. Fortunately i had no casualties with my ball lilypipe relatively high splashing around. Get it moving when it's hot is the best thing you can do. Good luck.. Sorry to hear you had loss.. Till now we are free of heatwave at the other side of the pond, still have 25.6 in the tanks.

As Zozo say the adding of extra aeration to incease oxygen levels maybe fan in the room .Very important keep the heater on and set to ,which is probably important not to let the water temperature drop suddenly if the weather cools.Remove glass covers or lift tank lid if needed unless you have fish what may jump then slightly raise them

Yea i alway have my bubble strip running as i have a duel outlet airpump and the other outlet is on a sponge filter in my fry tank and my bioflow creates plenty of surface movement, ive unplugged my heater for now as today is hotter than yesterday, i know i dont need to as it runs on a thermostat but ahhh well saves a few pennys and il plug it back in 2nite before i go to work. Thanks for the advice about the ice water bottle zozo i may try that if this weather continues. Think im guna open the lid up paraguay as i have nothing capable of jumping out. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated!

surely the heater wouldn't of been working they have built in stats to keep a constant water temp, so in this temp it would be mostly off during the day.
please correct me if i'm wrong. sorry for you loss

surely the heater wouldn't of been working they have built in stats to keep a constant water temp, so in this temp it would be mostly off during the day.
please correct me if i'm wrong. sorry for you loss
No your right but if its gonna be this warm allday might save a few pennies of the leccy bill

No your right but if its gonna be this warm allday might save a few pennies of the leccy bill
As the heater is off as temperature is above the thermostat setting it won't be consuming any electricity, so not really saving anything ???

As the heater is off as temperature is above the thermostat setting it won't be consuming any electricity, so not really saving anything ???
Ohh id of thought with it being plugged in it would still be using electricity, even if its not doing anything.... My bad

Despite efforts to chill the water a bit I lost one filter shrimp yesterday. Since it's just that one I cannot be completely sure it was due to the heat, but they're probably a bit more sensitive then the other livestock I've got. It was the last of his kind in my tank any way so guess he or she at least isn't lonely any more. I did love them, might get new ones in the future.

Back