• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cat litter

OK I've got moler clay today. 20liters weight 10kg. Grain is smaller than ADA Amazonia normal size. Weight of Ada vs Moler is about same because moler is totally dry but amazonia is slightly wet. Ratio of small grain vs large is in favor of small grain. If you want to sieve it you get 80% 2-3mm grain. Also Ada smells after fresh earth or dirt, while Mmoler is odorless. You have to wash it as it has slight dust on it but not much and it is not crumbling between fingers as Amazonia. General feeling is very good for such cheap substrate.

Now when dry color is ugly pink but when wet color is something between Ada Malaya/Africana and actually feels very nice. I am going to setup one nano and one 45L with it for shrimps.

See pictures worth more than 1000 words.

Moler Dry, Wet, Ada Amazonia
6350546662_0225a3ba87_b.jpg

2nd pic. have more accurate colors
6350546584_f161cc8cca_b.jpg

Looks good will go this route for the next big one.

Just planted my 125 with Tesco's kitty litter and as I was slowly filling whilst planting it felt like I was planting in quicksand but everything stayed in place pretty well. I was worried about it's lightness but it does a good job.

3 thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Radik. Does the Molar clay feel any heavier than the cat litter. Is it more stable when submerged? I`m looking for cheaper alternatives to ADA, I experimented with Tesco cat litter in a corner of my tank but was concerned about it being too lightweight for me to risk using in a Iwagumi set up!

Many thanks!

It is same weight as Tesco cat liter as it is from same source. It is not much lighter than Ada so you should not have problems.

I've used the Tesco one, however would now like to dress it off with sand as I've noticed I deterioration on my Sterbais barbels compared to the sterbai I have in my breeding tanks with sand. Could it be the coarseness of the cat litter or something else??? What gravel tidy do you reccomend to to stop the sand settling thru?

Your sand will end up on the bottom and litter on the top. Anything heavier will end up on the bottom.

I placed a nylon mesh screen over top of topsoil before capping with sand, and this seems to keep sand on top and less mess when re-planting.
Ideally,I should keep my hands out of the tank after planting in soil tanks but it is hard for me sometimes.

Alastair said:
I presume it will work similar to the expensive substrates in the the absorbed nutrients are available for the roots but not to such an extent because Things like aqua soil etc are rich in nutrients already. I love using that cat litter it's just a Shame they can't make the stuff in black lol

I would suggest writing to Tesco and asking them to find a black alternative, but then they would want to charge more if they knew what we were all using it for, lol. :crazy:

Just want to say what a helpful post this one is :) I went out and bought 3 bags of the Tesco stuff this evening and will be adding my Aquabasis Plus then the litter on top. Then I just have to find some plants, hehe.

EDIT: I now want to change my mind, LOL. One way or another the cat littler ended up smelling and I could not get rid of that smell. Either it was the cat litter, the JBL aquabasis+ underneath or the combination of the two, but ultimately my tank is now bare again :(

mikeappleby said:
Has anyone successfully grown glosso or HC in this - or is it just too light? Does it get heavier after time? Pictures of HC in it would be v reassuring.

I have grown glosso very well in it, never had problems with it being too light. Id have took a pic for you,but have since pulled most of it out and just popped in the odd snip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers

Have ordered the moler clay from here - no perfume and pretty much the same price as tesco

http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/index.php?cPath=84_87

Comes in a 'powder type' too so have got 30l of that - want to see if works better with carpet plants. After all ADA seem to think its worth doing...

mikeappleby said:
http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=84_87&products_id=539&osCsid=10de2fddc4d059e9e16332e77b8068ac

and the fine grain version

http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/produc ... e77b8068ac

It's the same supplier as tesco - a danish firm - but this has no perfume added. A 30l bag is £10.75 - compared to £166.63 for 30l of ADA powder... Will let you know how I get on.

LMAO I don't know where ADA get their pricing ideas from. It is a shame they are intent on making it such an "exclusive" hobby :(

Back