• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cat litter

I use it and I'm not going to pay for other substrates again! It's just as good IMO.

It has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) so it can absorb nutrients and release them over time, so water column fertilization is required.

Jack middleton said:
I use it and I'm not going to pay for other substrates again! It's just as good IMO.

It has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) so it can absorb nutrients and release them over time, so water column fertilization is required.

does it not make a right mess though, i have images of it clouding everywhere and clumping

only if it isn't capped, I've capped mine and I'm having brilliant results.

I believe that if its baked its safe to use it on its own, don't quote me on it though.

It depends on which type you use.

I have use Tescos value cat litter which turns to soft clay when water is added, best used in tank that you won't be doing a lot of plant moving as it makes a hellava mess. But had great results with it beneath a deep layer of sand.

Tescos also do a cat litter that is similar looking to akadama but smaller but is scented so needs to be washed thoroughly.

Jack middleton said:

Interesting but I dont quite understand - the cat liter can absorb nutrients from where?
Would this be excess nutrients from liquid or powder fertilisation?
Even then, why would this be comparable to a substrate that already contains the appropriate nutrients?

foxfish said:
Jack middleton said:

Interesting but I dont quite understand - the cat liter can absorb nutrients from where?
Would this be excess nutrients from liquid or powder fertilisation?
Even then, why would this be comparable to a substrate that already contains the appropriate nutrients?

The cat litter absorbs nutrients from the water column, so any fish waste, fertilisers etc.

The only reason I use it over nutrient rich substrates like ADA or naturesoil is because of the price.

yep, I added a 10 tea spoons of Kno3, 3 teaspoons of KH2PO4 and 3 teaspoons of traces into my mix and then capped with sand, it seems to be working!

Hi all, I was wondering if you could clear a few things up for me, im going to have to move my tank again shortly thanks to the landlord ad his way of plastering skills ( dont ask :oops: ) but I've been thinking while I take my tank down again :oops: I was going to add some cat litter ie the Tescos value cat litter one this seems to be the one everyone likes. I wanted to check is it the Tescos value cat litter in the red bag or the blue bag as my local Tesco sell two different kinds. And what can you use to stop the cat litter mixing with the sand at the front and sides of the tank. Also is it safe to use root tabs with it, I have TPN+ tabs Also how deep dose the capping have to be At the mo I've got a rought capping of 5 mm to 2 mm in my tank.
Jon

Hi all,
If you want to add some slow released nutrients to your cat litter, I'd buy a kilo of "Osmocote" for about £6.
<http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=260&pf_id=PP0051A>.

The best formulation, for those who are serious about these things, would probably be:
<http://www.scottsprofessional.com/en/osmocote-exact-protect.html>

There is also now "Osmoform" which might be slightly better, <http://www.scottsprofessional.com/en/osmoform.html> I've not tried this.

You could also use these with a low CEC substrate, where you wouldn't want to use straight KNO3 (the K and N would become instantly available).

Even cheaper is "Growmore" - 3Kg for £5. http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=260&pf_id=CF0004D.

Scott's also do slow release trace elements <http://www.scottsprofessional.com/en/micromax.html>. I haven't used these, but unless one of the trace elements becomes soluble in toxic amounts (for fish or shrimps, not plants) they should be pretty good as well.

cheers Darrel

I'm just about to rescape my Osaka 155l using tescos leightweight litter

This how its packaged now

140834.jpg

Closeup
Tescolightweightlitter.jpg

Colorwise
Tescolightweightlitter2.jpg

It is heavily scented and does take quite a bit of washing.

£2.95 for 10 litres

Londis do a similar product that isn't scented but is £2.99 for 6 litres

I use that - it's brilliant stuff! Have three tanks planted with it and growing nicely :thumbup:

Regarding washing it, I washed it in a sieve, made it easier to rinse out the smell. Didn't bother the fish at all so must have worked :lol:

Hi all

Has anyone successfully used this without capping it?
I'm about to rescape one of my low techs and I like the colour of this stuff, (looks a bit like my hi tech substrate and that was over £100 for a 180l :wideyed: ) so any advice would be appreciated.
In this tank I only have 'mid' and 'upper' level fish, so the fish will not be disturbing it.
For the price, I might just give this stuff a try :D

I'm using it uncapped and having no problems, holds plants down well and looks good

Thanks squiggly, that's great news.
Just went and got some this morning, seems to take a fair bit of rinsing, but if I can get the substrate to rescape my 95l for £6 (for 2 bags), I'm well chuffed :lol: .
Thanks.

I also use it uncapped - it holds the plants better than gravel and looks great :thumbup: I found planting into it was easier than small or large pea gravel, or fine or coarse sands, very happy with the way it looks and with plant growth :thumbup:

Hi all i've been caught between using this and Akadama. In the end i've gone with the cat litter, But i'm going to try something different which as been done with the Akadama, but before i do i wanted to know if it was ok to do it with cat litter. What i want to do is the following:
1th, Sphagnum Moss Peat
2nd, Miracle Grow tabs ( broken ones or whole ones not sure yet )
3rd, cat litter, Mulm and actived carbon from my filter (The reason why I want to use it is because it should have a nice layer of bacteria growing on it)
4th, cat litter
5th, The play sand which is in the tank now.
The thing is i'm not sure on how deep the sand capping needs to be i've read from a inch to 3 inch :?: :crazy: Also can you soak the cat littler for a few days or is it ok to wash it and put it in then the fish after you finished and filled the tank again ? Also is it safe for frogs as i have two of them :?: Tank specs Are a 60l tank , with low light 0.75 wpg (1 15w T8 Arcadia Orignal Tropical lamp,+T8 Arcadia reflector ), I use easy carbo 2ml a day and profito 1ml aday (wasnt sure if i could up the levels of profito usin the cat litter i'v been given a new bottle off TPN+ liquid (xmas gift).I do a 20% water change every week.
Any infoe be great ty
Jon

As mentioned in the Akadama thread, I use cat litter to grow bonsai and plants in... I have planted identical seedlings in this and potting compost and the growth was better... Root structure seems to be better, too... I use it un-rinsed and straight from the bag...

Now in a dilemma as to what to use in the new tank... This or Akadama... May use this as an excuse to get to small tanks to try if out on...

For those interested: http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Back