• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Catching fish! Amusing, yet anoying!

Steve Smith

Stripping down a tank at the moment, and having a quick break. I've just been trying to catch my fish and they're just being down right difficult!

Just thought I'd vent my frustration while the remaining fish swim about mocking me :lol:

I'm using the double net technique, but it's bot working amazingly well this time. Any one have any other tricks they use?

I cut up a 2 ltr pop bottle.
- Chop off where it starts to curve near the top
- then chop off where it starts to curve towards the cap
- turn that bit upside down so its like a funnel.
- put some flakes in
- see the fish swim in within seconds but they find it difficult to swim out

So it's like this.... (no time to draw something1)

------------------------------
| /
| /
|
| \
| \
------------------------------

i use one large net 1 small net, use the large net as a static, and try to corral the fish into the large net using the small net to move them, then scoop it out sharpish, gotta have a LOT of patience too.

fozziebear said:
i use one large net 1 small net, use the large net as a static, and try to corral the fish into the large net using the small net to move them, then scoop it out sharpish, gotta have a LOT of patience too.

That's what I do too :)

Got down to a group of 5 harlequins, who were being stubourn, then I remembered I had the "big" net. It's about 12cm square! One carefully aimed swoop and I had 4 of them :D

After starting the process of draining the rest of the water, and syphoning out the detritus I found 2 amano shrimp which were pretty determind to stay put! Was difficult to see them in the murky water but after some comedic attempts to chase the last one, I managed to swipe it!

It was actually quite entertaining, playing cat and mouse with a shrimp. Not sure which of us was the most cunning :lol: Amazingly, that means I actually still have 6 amano's :)

I had a similar problem with three Denasoni Barbs which were ripping up all my hair grass. They're fast and smart (seem to get wise to each technique). I built a boma out of slate (african game reserve style) with a vase at the end as the trap which if herded correctly the fish have no choice but to enter. Worked pretty well, no harm to fish, minimal disruption to tank. I guess this is only appropriate if you have a big tank with open space.

Pretty much the same clear pop bottle technique as Superman. Only I use it floating on the water sideways and only cut off the pouring end and insert it backwards. Works like a lobster trap. Don't forget to put the food in before you insert the funnel bit backwards.
Leave enough air in it if you want to catch things like Danios or barbs. Zippy little things! That way it floats near the top where they feed.
Good luck :)

Interesting idea with the pop bottles :)

I'm not sure my Pentazona barbs would go for it though, they're pretty shy at the best of times, darting to get food as it sinks to the bottom. Probably work with the harly's :)

I use a variation on the two net trick, but using one net and one clear plastic fish bag. Herd the fish into the plastic bag with the net.

or

A tupperware box with food in, and the lid slanted half over, with an algae scraper resting against it.
When the fish swims in, push the lid on with the algae scraper.

Back