• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cattapa leaves for shrimp

Cattapa, turkey oak, very good for shrimps. I was using Ebay, but as i can get them at trade prices soon will just get them from suppliers.

sr20det said:
As well as a food source do any of them act as a anti-bacterial etc? Fairly new to shrimp.

There is meant to be anti bacterial and inflammatory properties as well as water conditioning ones too.

Reducing PH and softening water too, as well as used to help create blackwater setups.

All round great idea to use these in your shrimp tank. Ive found them to be good food for shrimplets too, they seem to congregate on/around cappatta leaves.

shrimp and snails love IAL-Cattapa Leaves.
I see them grazing on them for hours at a time. they provide great grazing for shrimplets, they aid with healing in fish aswell. one reason they are so popular with Gourami and betta keepers. You can also buy it in liquid form and in tea bags.

Ordered some tea bags for my rasbora tank, it might help reduce my PH which will hopefully be wholly beneficial to the fish. Will order some leaves specifically for the shrimp tank.

Has anyone tried growing it as the seeds are available? A young tree could probably provide enough leaves to keep m satisfied year in yearr out?

If your interested in reducing PH. There are 'peat balls' available on ebay.

Which consists of bog peat tied up in a stocking, which will give you a substantial level of Ph lowering quality.

Hmm not sure as far as growing a small tree, Look at far east sellers.
Their price rates warrant buying a big bag maybe 100 and that should last you a few years in one tank.

It takes the shrimps a while to get rid of the leaves like. Maybe 3-4 weeks at a time?

Hi all,
I can highly recommend this supplier
I like "Winzita" as well. I've seen Terminalia catappa growing by the beach in Sri Lanka, and I don't think "growing your own" is a likely proposition, unless you own a Kew Gardens sized glasshouse.

Camellia x williamsii (Camellia), Eriobotrya japonica (Loquat) or Magnolia grandiflora (Evergreen Magnolia) leaves work as well as Indian Almond, and these will all grow outside in the UK without any problem. Alder cones (Alnus glutinosus/incana or cordata) are all really good, and Alders will be present around ponds in parks in towns etc.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I can highly recommend this supplier
I like "Winzita" as well. I've seen Terminalia catappa growing by the beach in Sri Lanka, and I don't think "growing your own" is a likely proposition, unless you own a Kew Gardens sized glasshouse.

Camellia x williamsii (Camellia), Eriobotrya japonica (Loquat) or Magnolia grandiflora (Evergreen Magnolia) leaves work as well as Indian Almond, and these will all grow outside in the UK without any problem. Alder cones (Alnus glutinosus/incana or cordata) are all really good, and Alders will be present around ponds in parks in towns etc.

cheers Darrel

Apparently the size can be controlled by growing in pots, the more space given the bigger it grows.

Back