• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ceramic diffusor problems

Nano Jake

I have 3 Rhinox 1000 diffusors that I use with a D-D kit [on rotation], the problem is that after cleaning with bleach the diffusors seem to clog up after 2 days use? is this normal?

After a soak in bleach they produce a lovely mist of fine bubbles but this only lasts 2 days max. Also the bubbles only appear to come from one spot on the ceramic disc?

Is there a better alternative to the Rhinox? or is this the norm with ceramic disc diffusors :(

Jake.

Nano Jake said:
Perhaps I didnt make it clear in my original post :D

I just read Ade's reply which said 'soak them' and then yours which said 'in what' so i just put that answer :D

Rhinox are meant to be the best diffuser so i have heard, maybe there isnt enough pressure or it is droppng and that is the reason for it only coming out of 1 spot?

rhinox are fine.. most of the tiny fine bubbles coming out of the diffuser directly after cleaning (that looks almost like smoke) can be bleach doing something with the co2!

if thats not what you mean, just make sure you place it somewhere in the dark, then it wont get algaefied as fast.

most ceramic disks dont have an even dispersal, not even posh expensive ADA ones, its just the nature of the material and the gas.

before I place my rhinox 5000 in the tank, i always run some co2 through it with the diffuser in a big pyrex jug.. this allows me to make sure that all the bleach is definitely removed. Worth doing.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
rhinox are fine.. most of the tiny fine bubbles coming out of the diffuser directly after cleaning (that looks almost like smoke) can be bleach doing something with the co2!

if thats not what you mean, just make sure you place it somewhere in the dark, then it wont get algaefied as fast.

most ceramic disks dont have an even dispersal, not even posh expensive ADA ones, its just the nature of the material and the gas.

before I place my rhinox 5000 in the tank, i always run some co2 through it with the diffuser in a big pyrex jug.. this allows me to make sure that all the bleach is definitely removed. Worth doing.

I use a big syringe to blast out any bleach before putting in the tank.

So how often do people clean their diffuser discs?

All I do is put some neat bleach on the disc for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat, rinse and put some dechlor and then back in the tank. I get the fine 'smoky' mist for an hour or so and then back to the bubbles.

The Rhinox is about the best without spending silly money. The reason they don't have bubbles coming from all angles is because in my opinion (I think Sam agrees with me on this) the recommended tank sizes are over the top.

The reason I say this is that if I run my 2000 at 2/3bps I get bubbles from half the disc. This isn't a problem to me because it send my dropchecker green so it is doing it's job. If I run the CO2 up (6-10bps) then I get whole disc distribution as per the advert photos.

For a while I went down to the Nano ones (tanks up to 40 litres) in my 33USG and at 3bps they gave even distribution. would still be using them now but they are much more fragile than the indestructible (IME) Rhinox.

Moral of the story is : If your DC says CO2 is OK the diffusor is working. Don't worry about an even spread.

Andy

I also used this type of diffusor before, but got fed up of blocked discs and stuff so got the Hydro diffusor instead, creates no pressure on the tubbing so no danger of it coming losse or exploding and never have blocked discs, this does mean you have another power lead in the tank, I connect this to the selonoide valve timer so it is only on when the CO2 is on, and its well hidden in the middle of my blyxa in the tank, couple of photos of it before I put it in the right place:

pict0972tj2.jpg

pict0977yi6.jpg

Back