• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Change to disposable?

AdAndrews

Hiho Guys! I am currently running a 2kg FE with reg and solenoid on my 35litre tank, however i want more space so im considering changing to disposable welding gas bottles, 600g ones from machine mart... is there a particularly good reg thats small and cheap? shall i do it?

EDIT: and also, to anyone that does this, whats the size of the machine mart 600g bottle?

Themuleous said:
Have you read this?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696

You can get single and dual gauge version of this reg.

I run the system on my 60lt and I get around 4 weeks worth of CO2 before I have to change the cylinder.

The cylinder is 30cm long by 6cm diameter. The reg adds another 8cm to the lenght.

Sam

just read it yes, and a very good read it was...again :)
how would using a guage-less reg go, i dont think i would mind becuase it would be obvious to see no bubbles, blue drop checker and no noise from my in-line diffuser, thanks

you(sam) said on that thread that you can use the lunapet needle valve-and seen as i have already got one, i mayaswell do :D although i dont have the screw for it to gain a tight grip on the tubing, can i get this anywhere?

EDIT: Will my lunapet needle valve fit right into the new reg, will i still need one of these: "6mm Push in M Stud connector 1/8 BSPT - eBay - £1.80"

not sure....

I use the jbl kit and its great with the machine mart bottles, as discussed earlier they last about 4weeks.

If you need a bottle measuring accurately let me know. They are currently £10.91 each.

Think you should try and get it working!
I would be interested to see if you can get it working on the cheap, as you say dont really need the guage, when the bubbles stop, its run out!

Andy,

thanks andy, so i will buy the gaugeless reg =£20 and then co2 bottles, i will save a little more and get the 3 off ebay for £40 better deal.

Adam

edit: just realised its cheaper off machine mart :lol: 3 for £34.00 something

AdAndrews said:
thanks andy, so i will buy the gaugeless reg =£20 and then co2 bottles, i will save a little more and get the 3 off ebay for £40 better deal.

Adam

Glad you spotted that or i was going to have to question your maths skills :lol:

can you post a link for this gauge-less reg your going to be using?

andyh said:
AdAndrews said:

Adam

Glad you spotted that or i was going to have to question your maths skills :lol:

can you post a link for this gauge-less reg your going to be using?

its all of Sam's thread mate, heres the thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696

and heres the link for the reg http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/xpn1_Drap ... ec0Q2em322

and then obviously becuase i already have a needle valve i will use that the reduce costs, all i really need is reg and 1 bottle, which i could go down to the store if i wanted to (about 20-30mins away) to save costs(even though petrol isnt free) theoretically, i could do this for £30.90 :)

Hi Adam,

Yeh I haven't found any problems using a gauge-less reg, I've worked out since setting it up that the cylinder lasts around 4 weeks so I just change it after 4 weeks. Simple.

As for the lunapet needle value, that should screw directly onto the reg as shown. And if you have one of those, you are correct in saying that you dont need to buy the '6mm Push in M Stud connector 1/8 BSPT - eBay - £1.80" or the separate needle value :)

The tubing grip as you've called it I wouldn't be too worried about, it'll probably stay on anyway. If you find it doesn't let me know I've probably got a spare somewhere you could have.

Sam

AdAndrews said:
how would using a guage-less reg go, i dont think i would mind becuase it would be obvious to see no bubbles, blue drop checker and no noise from my in-line diffuser, thanks

Just had a thought, prob best not to let the cylinder run out completely and the DC go blue as that could mean the best part of a day with little or no CO2, and that could lead to algae.

Just a thought :)

Sam

Themuleous said:
AdAndrews said:

Just had a thought, prob best not to let the cylinder run out completely and the DC go blue as that could mean the best part of a day with little or no CO2, and that could lead to algae.

Just a thought :)

Sam

ive ordered the reg now... when the bottle gets low, will the pressure drop?, thats what i dont want, i dont want to have like one day fine, and then the next the co2 being diffused is less becuase of less pressure, before it runs out, if you know what i mean.. im at home fairly often now-a-days anyway, so most likely it will only be a few hours with no co2.

Back