• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Change water filter system

SusanneK

Hi!

I have inherited a 60*30*30 aquarium with some fishes and a bad internal filter in it. So I have bought a new Eheim Experience 150 and now I don't know how I will introduce a new filter to my running aquarium...

Do I let both my old internal filter (with a sponge) run at the same time for some weeks to still have some bacterias in the aquarium? Or do I just switch filters and there will be enough bacterias anyway in the gravel? Perhaps I need to add more bacterias?

Susanne

Hello Susanne !
Yes, the best would be to let both filters for a while, let's say 3 weeks. Just time for the new one to get enough bacterial growth. Then you can remove the old one and thank him for his good service :)

I agree with the advice you have been given already, either run the filters together for a time, or put the old sponge (/ filter media) in your new canister filter.
I am somewhat cautious by nature so I would give it a month and a half to two months, but thats just me.
It can be wise to take into consideration that you do not have a very established planted tank yet. Or at least I am assuming this. I dont know if you ever posted a picture for us?
Any way, the reason I say this is because an aquarium with many strongly growing plants will have an easier time to maintain good water quality during a filter switch. So if this is not quite the case yet, I think running them together for longer could be a good idea.

Thank you so much for all your answers! :) Then I know there is two ways of doing it!

If I run the two filters at the same time, will it not be a too strong flow in the aquarium for the fishes?
It seems like I can adjust the flow on the new filter - should I do that perhaps if I choose that method? Does it matter where I place the filter outblows? Should it be on the opposite sides perhaps?

And yes Hufsa, you're right that I don't have a very established planted tank yet. :)

Susanne

Back