• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing Filters

Richard40

Recently ordered an Oase 600 Thermal filter and currently have a JBL Cristal Profi e702.
I’ll be changing them over but want advice on how to do it and still keep the fish healthy? Obviously moving the current Biohome ultimate I have in the old filter, but the new one will have more Biohome and different sponges.
What’s the correct way to do it?

bio media for fluval 305 worth a read about Biohome. I would fit some of the old sponges even if they dont fit that good as they will help seed the new sponges esp if the water hits the old sponges first and keep fish feeding light.

I just use course and medium sponges and a little Biohome in my filter

Hi all,
What’s the correct way to do it?
Old Filter
Turn the old filter off, pour out 9/10 of the water, make sure that the filter isn't air tight (if you have taps leave them open) and put the lid back on. The filter can sit like that <"for a while without any problem">, as long as the <"filter media is moist, and exposed to oxygen, it will stay biologically active">.

New Filter
Take all the filter media out of the new filter, only put <"the coarser media back"> in. Put the old filter media into the new filter, start the filter.

cheers Darrel

I’m changing this over tomorrow. Am I to take the old sponges and put them in the new one? Also, if I am how long should I leave them in there?

Hi all,
I’m changing this over tomorrow. Am I to take the old sponges and put them in the new one? Also, if I am how long should I leave them in there?
Yes.

I’d leave them for at least a month, and then swap them out one at a time. If they are in good condition you can just carry on using them.

Cheers Darrel

Back