• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing substrate in an established tank?

MrBritz

My tank has been running for 9 months with inert gravel substrate, I have purchase JBL Manado & aqua basis+ to replace the gravel but I am unsure of how best to do this without stressing the livestock or creating any issues.

My thoughts are:
1: Just get it done, put the livestock in a big tub for a few hours with heater & power head while I drain the tank and change the substrate then put the fish back once the tank is filled back up and the water has settled.

2: Same as 1 but keep the fish separate for a week or two to allow the substrate to cycle.

3: just start again from scratch.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt.
tempImageaC7WuG.png

Hi, I've not used aqua basis+ and the answer will depend on what happens when it's added. Manado is inert so won't cause any problems for you but if the ab+ leaches anything, I personally think, it's best when you don't have livestock to worry about. Others might disagree and with daily massive waterchanges you may be ok.
I'd perhaps be overly cautious and test some of the substrate in some fresh water to see if there is an ammonia spike and then you'll know what you are in for. I don't know if presoaking the substrate would work but whenever I have used manado I have soaked it in water first because it's very dusty and floats to begin with if not.

Mate, if your plants are in trouble, you'll NOT solve it with "better" substrate than silica sand. You're more likely to experience the very opposite. Trust me. Or not. It's up to you. ;)
(Your tank is far from desperate. Desperate action is not needed. You can simply replace unsuccessful species by some others, preferably less difficult.)

Mate, if your plants are in trouble, you'll NOT solve it with "better" substrate than silica sand. You're more likely to experience the very opposite. Trust me. Or not. It's up to you. ;)
(Your tank is far from desperate. Desperate action is not needed. You can simply replace unsuccessful species by some others, preferably less difficult.)
Thanks, that’s useful to know, I have been procrastinating that job for weeks:rolleyes: I’m changing ferts from JBL ferropol to TNC Complete. So I’ll see how I get on with that over the next few weeks

Back