• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Channelling my inner Filipe - Christmas Corys

This is usually my experience as well

Have you been planting TC MC, or tried the pot version as well (shouldn’t be as tender and tasty ;))

Which gourami do you have remaining?

Tank is looking grand

I've always tried the tropica 1-2 grow pots of MC, the problem is when i plant into the gravel the shrimp are all over the area i've disturbed. I don't think they are eating it just completely uprooting it even though it's covered in gravel so i gave up for a while. But i'm determined and got some new MC so will give it another try.

I've got 2 left of each type of gourami, so one of each have jumped out and i haven't had any problems since. I'm thinking to buy some more asian rummy nose if i ever see them in the LFS again, they really bring the tank to life. Their behaviour is really cool and unique, i wasn't keen when i first set up the tank but now i love them, they use every inch of the tank compared to the other fish and are so active.

Tank looking great sammy and its great when tank seems to reach a ballance and just ticks along nicely thats exactly what my 45p is doing. Looks great still mate glad everything going well

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tank looking great sammy and its great when tank seems to reach a ballance and just ticks along nicely thats exactly what my 45p is doing. Looks great still mate glad everything going well

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks Dean I'm happy that's it's pretty old and not covered in algae! I've finally figured out how often i need to trim the rotala too, as they all grow at different speeds it's hard to keep it all under control as the H'ra easily gets shadowed leading to poor growth.

Can't wait to give the MC another go in the gravel and stop the shrimp from uprooting it! 😂

Really like this tank, one of the reasons I looked into getting a 900 TBH. Followed the journal throughout.
Do the Asian rummy nose bother your shrimp? And do they 'shoal'?

Really like this tank, one of the reasons I looked into getting a 900 TBH. Followed the journal throughout.
Do the Asian rummy nose bother your shrimp? And do they 'shoal'?

Thanks that's cool to hear! The asian rummy nose don't really bother the shrimp, i've seen them try nibble on a shrimp, but to be honest i think their mouths are too small in general and the shrimp do well not to get eaten. The rams are the only fish that bother the shrimp, the gouramis don't hunt or eat them at all.

The asian rummy nose don't shoal in the classic sense like the others. But if you have enough of them they usually split into two groups and really energetically chase eachother all over the tank in two separate streams. It's pretty cool and entertaining, especially as that's literally all they do all day, it's like they live in their own world and don't care about being in a tank. 😀

Random update....

I saw the worm (earthworm Jim) again late last night, 3rd time ever. He has made it over to the other side of the tank which is interesting, must be keeping the soil aerated 🤣

Saw him just under my hairgrass carpet up against the front glass and he has grown a lot, he's pretty long. I wanted to take it out considering i could reach him, but got scared (i hate snake like things 🤮) and aborted the mission. I was using my phone flash light and the colours on the worm were amazing, almost rainbow or pearlescent like which was cool. It also moved quite fast which was another surprise 🤣

Here's a couple of snaps of my male ram, he's a beast now.
IMG_20200917_183845__01.jpg

IMG_20200917_183737__01.jpg

Last edited:
The asian rummy nose don't shoal in the classic sense like the others. But if you have enough of them they usually split into two groups and really energetically chase eachother all over the tank in two separate streams. It's pretty cool and entertaining, especially as that's literally all they do all day, it's like they live in their own world and don't care about being in a tank. 😀
This is such an apt description of these fish!

This is such an apt description of these fish!
They are very cool, hope I can find some more. Wasn't keen on their behaviour when i first got them as all the other fish are quite slow moving in comparison and it upset the calm nature of the aquarium. But after a while i grew to love them as they are so unique and actually use every inch of the tank.

How many do you have now?

I should still have 14, haven't found any jumpers or seen any weak/ill ones so I assume I still have them all. It's pretty hard to count them to be fair as they are either flying about the tank or in amongst the plants so rarely get the chance to count them all at once.

Last edited:
Quick update...

Things are going really well, i think the scape is nearly 10 months old! I'm finally getting close to the scape i had envisioned. I think i will be there in a month or so, really looking forward to it.

Since the last update I have properly sorted out the beach area, and have planted MC in the gravel, this time it's looking promising. I have also been daily dosing EI for a month or so after reading that recent thread that popped up and i think it has helped - i was strarting to struggle with the pinnatafida and now its growing really well.

I am still struggling with the S.repens, it is growing a little better but i always have problems with gsa or gda on the leaves, and sometimes its grows stunted and leggy. I have increased PO4 and CO2 but hasn't really helped so i'm going to put it down to being my new nemesis plant 🤣
IMG_20201031_205221__01.jpg

IMG_20201031_204730__01.jpg

IMG_20201031_205042__01.jpg

IMG_20201031_204947__01.jpg

IMG_20201031_204808__01.jpg

IMG_20201031_205134__01.jpg

Will update in a month or so, fingers crossed the MC finally takes and i end up with a "secondary carpet" 🤣

Back