• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap 88g C02 setup

Sentral

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a regulator for a disposable 88g tank and seen this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221779812864&globalID=EBAY-GB would I need a needle valve for this? The seller states that I do not, but not sure how accurate that is.

You can get adapters to full size regs, so I'd consider that if there's a cheap one somewhere.

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think you need one but it all depends on how much accuracy in the co2 control you need. Are you going to use a diffuser? or a reactor? It will probably be good enough for a diffuser.
If I were you I would go the soda stream way which is much cheaper in the long run and you only have to buy regulators once because they are the standard thread type (in case you want to move into fire extinguishers). With a soda stream you need an adaptor. I have been where you are now and bought those small regulators just to find my self spending money twice or even three times.

Have a look at this website if you havent already.
http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...um-co2-regulator-with-solenoid-magnetic-valve

These are really meant for very (very) small tanks with CO2 left on 24/7. You will not get very long from each cylinder, especially on 24/7.

My 180litre tank gets through 20gr per 6hours. Which works out roughly at 0.02gr/litre/hour.

So for instance a 10litre tank on 24hours will get through 0.02 * 10 * 24 about 5g, thus 88g will last 18days. For a disposable canister @ £16 that works out 90p a day.

This compares to 100days for my tank on a 2Kg fire extinguisher @ £10 giving 10p a day for CO2.

Thanks for the replies all, I've just been reading the thread about soda streams and could be a good idea. The tank is tiny, only 19l so not too worried about the cost, can't go the FE route due to no room for the canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SodaStream is 420gr for £10.

Of course if you buy a proper CO2 system with solenoid (and SodaStream) using my 0.02g/litre/hour on your 19l tank for 6 hours a day @ £10 for 420g gives 0.02 * 6 * 19 -> 2.3g per day giving a cost of 10 * 2.3 /420 -> 5.5p per day, bit better than previous 90p per day.

Cheers guys, I'll be using a nano diffuser as the tank (Fluval Spec) has a built in filter. Might look into modifying the powerhead and position the diffuser underneath but we shall see!

My tank has got a built in filter. I took an atomizer and put it in front of the output just by sticking the atomizer on the tanks back wall in the same place of the output flow. It gives out micro bubbles, maki g it as efficient as an inline atomizer. Its so simple but the best idea I ever had. The only problem is its easier to gas your fish because of the high dissolution rate. Let me know if you need a photo.

Back