• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes - Update with photos

This is the site i was on mate, didint have the tubes James has in a smaller size though. So i am just wondering if the wattage or anything changes with the size of the tube.

Hi all,
They mainly come in standard sizes, 54W are the standard size for 4' fittings and are dirt cheap (size 1149mm).
5' fittings run 35W, 49W or 80W lamps (1463mm) and they are cheapish as well.

14W or 24W fit in 2' fittings - they are 549 mm long and again pretty cheap as well, the reason they ae the same length is most "14W" ballasts are actually rated up to 24W.

A word of warning for the small lamps (like a lot of under-cabinet lamps) is that 13W & 14W are different lengths (525mm & 549mm)and the 13W actually runs of the same ballast as the 354mm long 8W T5's. This is easy to see if you look at a 13W and 14W fitting (with the same colour temperature tube), the 14W looks almost twice as bright.

As soon as you want non-standard sizes the price goes up (ask the owners of Juwel aquariums).

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that darrel, so if I had a jewel Tank I wouldn't be able to get these lamps? I actually have a fluval tank and currently have 24" tubes.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I've never owned a Juwel tank/light unit, but I believe they are non-standard lengths, meaning you have to buy their branded tubes.

cheers Darrel

Or the Arcadia tubes made especially to fit awkward Juwel aquariums. Either way more expensive than non aquarium branded standard size tubes.

Hi people, thought I'll just mention that Lampspecs told me this morning that Osram is discontinuing the skywhite 880. It is no more, highest they have is the 865
Mart

Just took delivery of osram 880/840 and Phillips 965
So they've still got them at mo
Ordered them last Friday
Matt

Hi,

Great thread!

I like the look of the t5 Osram 840 & 880 skywhite, but need 3ft (39W).

Lampspecs have the 840, but don't seem to do a 3ft 880, or a 3ft philips de luxe 865. They do have a 3ft Osram 865 though.

So, would the Osram 840 & Osram 865 give a close resemblance?

Cheers

Would the following bulb go with an ATI 60" fixture.
Osram Lumilux 549mm T5 Fluorescent Tube 24W

Just received 39w philips & Grolux tubes for my new tank which is due any time now - can't wait?!

Could any of you kind people point me in the right direction for the best bulbs to get for a Juwel tank - tube size 30mm ( T5 size ? )

I was runing this set up in my old tank - T5 Fluorescent Tube 54W 840 Osram 54 Watt and T5 Fluorescent Tube 54W 880 Skywhite Osram 54 Watt - and would like to know what would give me similar effect etc?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fantastic Find James and very helpful thread. There is so much info on this site very glad I dropped by!

Fantastic Find James and very helpful thread. There is so much info on this site very glad I dropped by!

Thank you, this is immensely helpful. I just got a fixture from Amazon and will be getting a grolux and philips 865 combo based on the data here.

Great thread,Thanks for the info.Should save me a packet when I change my 4 36w T8's as I have been duped into buying Dennerle tubes.

Back