• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes - Update with photos

Thanks John for the kind words. Since I first wrote this article I have been changing the combinations and noting the affects on the plants. Currently I'm running 2x Osram 840 and 2x Osram 880. This I find gives me great pearling and plant colour without too much green. If you like more green the swapping the Osram 880's for Philip's 965's works well. To save money you could even use Osram 865's instead of the Philip's 965's.

James

Great work JamesC - real helpful too to actually see the effects rather than read about them. Please moderators - stick this one, (in the best possible way!) :D

ukteacherman said:
Great work JamesC - real helpful too to actually see the effects rather than read about them. Please moderators - stick this one, (in the best possible way!) :D

If you mean make it a sticky thread then it already is!!! :D

durtydurty said:
I was going to get some plant pro tubes but after seeing this and the prices its lampspecs all the way.
My arcadia has quite thin tubes, I presume these are T5's, its a four footer.
Yep should be T5's, just make sure you get the right size/wattage.

Woohoo, they have arrived.

Went T5 Osram 840 and the Skywhite 880

That'll be something else to break later on!

Snapped my Rhinox earlier whilst packing it to send to LD.

Update......

Have fitted said bulbs and am not sure they are as bright as what was in there from when I bought the lumianire

The tubes I have taken out are as follows

Aqua Medic Ocean White 10K 54 W x 2

Arcadia Marine Blue 420 Actinic x 2

Bought it second hand so it was just a bit of mish mash in there TBH.

Wolfenrook said:
10,000k tubes can often appear 'brighter' to the eye because of the colour of them. Lumens wise however I doubt that there is that much difference. Just to make sure though, you did get T5 HO 880s and 840s though, and not normal T5 ones?

Ade

Yeah, invoice says 880 and 840.

Hi,

can I just confirm I am NOT looking at the pet section of the said site, but the ordinary bulbs? I have 2 x 18w in my 4' tank,, they are daylight bulbs, ones I've never heard of NARVA 010. They came with the tank, but I want to change to 1 daylight and 1 grolux, just been to my lfs and for the 2 they want £40.

I am aimimg for a low tech low light set up, with lots of plants and no co2 injection. At the mo, just have about 30% coverage, but I'm working on this atm. (Hair algae just starting up on sand.)

Anyway, I'm looking at normal flourescent bulbs? Thanks

Great post..

just found it at the right moment..!

Have to agree, this is a really good thread, Saves people a lot off cash :D If it wasnt for james planted tank site I would still be paying £17 plus a tube, Nice one james :D

jay said:
880 skywhites.

there ok, but couple one up to a hagen power glo 18000K and you get a lovely colour rendition. the hagen really brings out the different green tones, without taking away too much of the "white" light from the 880 which can give an even green tone through out the tank IME

Don't suppose anywhere sells similarly cost effective twin T5 starter/ballast units then?

Just wanted to add my thanks to JamesC for this thread. Great shop and quick delivery.
My new twin T5's look ace! 8) (Osram and 840 Phillips DeLuxe 965, clean and warm :) )

Thanks for this thread - you've saved me money 8)

OK I haven't got T5s I've got T8s - but I still used the info and bought the Phillips Pro 96 and a Grolux to replace my Juwel Tubes - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I didn't realise my Bleeding heart Tetras (H. Erythrostigma and H. Socolofi) and Blue emperor Tetras were so stunning! The lime green look is gone forever! :D

Just have to echo this has been an awesome thread , i really like the Osram 880 look overall it seems the most natural to me so im gonna order them now for the stack of Hagen Glo T5Hos winging their way to me :D

Back