• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap low-tech LED lighting for tanks with lids.

ForestDave

Hi.
Any recommendations on a cheap low-tech LED light that can cope with being under an aquarium lid. There's quite a bit of condensation there so I wasn't sure if the aluminium cased units could cope?
My tank needs to be super low tech with just a few crypts/some moss growing as it's not my main tank and I don't need too much extra work. I had to evict my rabbit snails from my main tank as they seemed to hate the substrate/temperature/lighting and daily ph drop when the CO2 kicked in. I bought a 60l tank second hand and they seem to love it so far.
Cheers!

waterproof aquarium led - Google Search

Off the top of my head. Would need to work out size and number of units but these little underwater leds should work fine
Things like fluvals are water proof but not exactly inexpensive
Fluval Plant 3.0 Spectrum Bluetooth LED Aquarium Lighting
May 12, 2020 — Featuring FluvalSmart App technology, the light offers a variety of ... and humidity intrusion in conjunction with the light's IP67 waterproof rating.[/ quote]

Assuming it's a 600mm tank? The fluval aquasky 2.0 16w would fit the bill, and provide more than enough light for low tech set up. Around £80 on flea bay.

Edit: on re reading possibly not the cheapest of options.

Last edited:
LED flood lights work pretty well and normally have an IP rating so should handle the humidity. I used a warm white 10 watt for a while. Some of them have the option to blend colours (normally the WiFi units) so you could get the colour spectrum you want and I imagine they'll have an option to set a timer schedule. I think it's the route I'll go in the future.

whats the tank brand? sometimes if you google the brand and retrofit led or similar you'll find someone that's done it.

LED flood lights work pretty well and normally have an IP rating so should handle the humidity. I used a warm white 10 watt for a while. Some of them have the option to blend colours (normally the WiFi units) so you could get the colour spectrum you want and I imagine they'll have an option to set a timer schedule. I think it's the route I'll go in the future.
Cheers. Have you seen any you like the look of?

whats the tank brand? sometimes if you google the brand and retrofit led or similar you'll find someone that's done it.
It's got some crappy 0.2w tube fitted into it which barely sends out any light. I presumed you couldn't stick a higher wattage T5 tube in there.

Back