• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide

Worked, Too tight = no co2 coming out, now ive got a constant suppy of CO2! Thanks great guide and very useful system!

Three questions;
One; Is this addition safe and suitable?

"EDIT - this has been suggested as a replacement for the push fit connector and as it has a needle value built it removes the need for the co2 hosting between the reg and needle value. I've not tried it but it would make the whole system a lot simpler.

http://www.hosefit.co.uk/catalog/produc ... cts_id=778

I hope this is of help to some people.

Sam"

Two; Can the CO2 simply and safely be turned off at night with no fuss and bother (despite having to re-adjust it in the morning). Will use a bubble counter.

and three; Can someone give a rough estimate on how long a cylinder will last in a 180l tank (this is why I'm looking to shut it off at night as it doesn't have any use).

Cheers

Nick593 said:
Three questions;
One; Is this addition safe and suitable?

"EDIT - this has been suggested as a replacement for the push fit connector and as it has a needle value built it removes the need for the co2 hosting between the reg and needle value. I've not tried it but it would make the whole system a lot simpler.

http://www.hosefit.co.uk/catalog/produc ... cts_id=778

I hope this is of help to some people.

Sam"

Two; Can the CO2 simply and safely be turned off at night with no fuss and bother (despite having to re-adjust it in the morning). Will use a bubble counter.

and three; Can someone give a rough estimate on how long a cylinder will last in a 180l tank (this is why I'm looking to shut it off at night as it doesn't have any use).

Cheers

Hiya

1 - Cant say I've used it so cant comment, but cant see a reason why it wouldn't work. Try and see and let us know :thumbup:

2 - Yes it can if you dont mind the hassle. You might want to look into a solenoid which turns the co2 off for you on a timer, which would be loads simpler :)

3 - Not very long at all. 2-3 weeks tops. If it were me I'd look into the FE guide as 600g wont last long at all.

Sam

Themuleous said:
EDIT - 2/2/2011

Following some recent threads I've found that Lunapet post a needle value to the UK for just 2 euro's. So you can have the co2 tubing connector and needle value built into the same attachment and for aorund £10. This is the one I've mentioned later on in the this thread and I've used in my system :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feinnadelventil-N ... 20addf0baf

Hi Sam,
Are you saying that the above device will connect straight to the CO2 cylinder and the airline will then go from it directly to a diffuser?

Dave

No its not possible and dangerous. You must have a regulator to reduce the bottle pressure down to useable pressure. The needle valve can then fine tune the CO2 that flows from the reg at about 1.5 bar.

Personally I think you should also have a solenoid valve so that the c02 is automatically closed down at night. Otherwise you have to manually turn off the C02 and then turn it on and fiddle with the needle valve every morning. Unless of course you leave it on but thats wasteful.

Keith

Thanks Keith. So this attatches to the regulator? Sorry if a I'm asking silly questions but I've got a tad confused with all the other options from the original list :?

davem said:
Thanks Keith. So this attatches to the regulator? Sorry if a I'm asking silly questions but I've got a tad confused with all the other options from the original list :?

Basically all you're doing is swapping this bit

DSCF4395.jpg

for this bit

DSCF4395-1.jpg

And then just push the co2 tubing into the blue part. The other end of the co2 tubing connects directly to the diffuser.

Sam

Yep thats what I did when I first bought the WeldUK one way back (dual on elike you link to.) They told me I needed the adaptor to fit the CO2 hose so I bought it. Then found the needle valve would screw straight into the whole anyway. I guess me being a little vague with them and not knowing what I was doing at the time.

AC

The only thing I would add is that I found this needle value to be a bit tricky at the lower end of the bubble rate. The difference between sufficient and too much Co2 in my 30lt cube was minute and I managed to gas a load of my fish and shrimp, so probably better to use this on slightly larger tanks that have more room for maneuver.

Sam

I've just bought the parts for this.

The needle valve from luna pets;

co2_feinnadelventil_230.jpg

is perfect. Well worth the extra couple of pounds. Now looking for a cheap solenoid.

That's the one most of us use!

Is it possible to buy all the parts that you have bought but get a cylinder that is a little more suitable for larger tanks? I have a 120L tank, this is the first article that I have seen that describes in simple terms exactly how to buy everything and put it together within my sort of budget. Your article has given me the confidence to give it a go but the size of the cannisters bothers me. Will I be replacing them every five minutes on a 120L tank?

Back