• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide

I'm google-ing now :geek: Thanks!

This comes across as a bit rude. Did I miss something and you were joking ? I hope so because the guys on this forum are incredibly helpful

Yeah i was only messing about.

I got my equipment and its all set up. ive ordered my plants online so now waiting for those. Im very excited tbh.

I bought a heater but ive decided i wont use it yet because the water temp has been fine so far. I might introduce it in the winter.

Thanks again

BooneyInc said:
This comes across as a bit rude. Did I miss something and you were joking ? I hope so because the guys on this forum are incredibly helpful

Yeah i was only messing about.

I got my equipment and its all set up. ive ordered my plants online so now waiting for those. Im very excited tbh.

I bought a heater but ive decided i wont use it yet because the water temp has been fine so far. I might introduce it in the winter.

Thanks again
OK let you off then , hehe, glad you were jokin :clap: This is an unbelievably helpful forum, but remember to use the smilies sometimes so that people realise you are kidding. Till we know someone its sometimes hard to tell ;)

So what stuff have you bought and what plants are on order ? Where are you based ? have you set up a journal for us all to follow your progress ?

One word of warning regarding heaters... or LACK of heaters.... They give you STABILITY of temperature. So even if you are finding the central heating (or local climate) is maintaining a rough temperature, its still worth running a heater to maintain a more level temperature. Bear in mind that CO2 dissolves at different rates depending on temp so if you have temperature fluctuations, your CO2 will dissolve at differing rates. This in turn could give you fluctuating CO2 levels and therefore give rise to algae, which you don't want :thumbdown: I have a Hydor ETH300 external and it maintains my temperature within 0.3degrees C. Hope that helps.

Been using this setup for a few months now, working great. However bit concerned as one of the canisters only lasted 1-2 months, on my 23L tank at low bps.

I'm guessing it's been leaking somewhere (into bedroom!) along the line, but tested with soapy water and no luck.

How are you applying the soapy water?

I tend to mix it with my hand till I have loads of bubbles, I then scoop the bubbles off the top and use these everywhere there is a connection.

Leave it on a few mins and simply watch, you should get big bubbles where there are leaks.

Try this if you haven't already hopefully it will find your leak.

I used a spray bottle to apply it - couldn't find any leaks. I'm thinking I may have used a large quantity at the beginning when I was testing equipment etc. Will see how long this canister lasts.

Yeah maybe but still try my method if there are no leaks then it may at least put your mind at ease knowing you tried two different ways.
If you don't get any leaks using the foamy bubble method then your low co2 may well be cos you were playing with it at the beginning, I did the same, lol
Just remember to make your mixture really thick with 2 parts soap 1 part water.

Lemsip said:
Been using this setup for a few months now, working great. However bit concerned as one of the canisters only lasted 1-2 months, on my 23L tank at low bps.

I'm guessing it's been leaking somewhere (into bedroom!) along the line, but tested with soapy water and no luck.

Updating as my next canister is also running out - Ive been running at about 2bps. How long have the canisters lasted for others? Can only imagine it's leaking before the bubble counter but I cannot identify where!

i've been using this setup for a while now and buy my bottles at local shop for ease of purchase and i get between 1 and 3 months on same tank with same bubble rate not having weighed the bottles to be sure imo some are fuller than others please feel free to disagree as i have no facts to base this on :lol: just my thoughts still for me best cheapest reliable convienient pressurized set up ive found so thanks sam :clap:

Themuleous said:
2 months seems about right. Have you tried submerging the lot in a bucket of water to check for bubbles? It shouldn't damage the reg as this is how i first tested this kit.

Just an update, one new canister has now gone within a week. No idea how, tested for leaks and cant identify any. Maybe the reg is buggered. :(

Possibly ...... but if the reg was knackered would it not

A. Show up when you have been testing for leaks
B. Asphyxiate your livestock

Hope that doesn't come across the wrong way, I'm just trying to narrow down the options so I can work out where your problem lies.

Another potential but less likely scenario could be that some regulators come with a safety discharge valve that could purge gas if the internal bottle pressure got too high (I know that isn't possible since your continually draining your cylinder and you have +ve pressure in the bottle) but this may point towards a faulty safety discharge (AKA buggered reg)
But ...... I would expect the life expectancy of your CO2 bottles to be almost consistent, yours seem to vary wildly.

On the other hand it could be as simple as some bottles have more gas than others as mentioned above.

Great stuff! will be saving up the pennies for my 60L and would this be ok for my 30L too? Sorry I haven't gone through the whole thread to see if someone has asked this.

Just a quick questions guys, do you use any type of o-ring between the regulator and the needle valve? I have bought the Lunapet needle valve and it is pretty small gadget, but it doesn't come with any rubber o-ring and the carving it is quite long, so it actually reach the bottom of the female joint of the regulator. I have tried to use the o-ring that comes with the regulator/on the push fit connector/, but when screwing the valve, it pops out its place and gets loose... I have noticed that Sam uses it without an o-ring... is that not causing a leak?

It's only a thought but I can't help thinking it would be better if the needle valve bolted straight into the regulator? There seem to be quite a number of threaded adaptors about if it's not a direct fit.

Wherever possible use bonded (Dowty) washers or thread sealant to prevent leaks.

Good guide in spite of this though!

Back