• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide

Themuleous said:
Hi Jon,

Firstly that reg wont work as its got a 'male' end and is for wig welders I believe.

Also, the diffuser could be added to the tubing from an external filter, however this one is cheaper and does a great job in my tank.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Carbon-Dioxid ... 19b8941c1a

Sam :)
Hi Sam ok will keep a look out for the reg you used. andthat would fit in to my spray bar its a tt600 ty
Jon

Themuleous said:
It should do :) FYI it doesnt fit to the spraybar itself, it attaches to the tubing :)

Sam

I noticed that you can fit it out side of the tank lol (shouldnt skim read stuff lol) I was wondering if you can use the gas bottles from halfords, as there is one in my town and it will cut down on postage :D here a link to the halfords site

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165727

Jon

ok thanks again, hopefully over christmaswill get my co2 up and running :D

That looks fairly straight-forward
Silly question - you just use the needle valve to determine the flow of CO2 into the 2nd tube and so into the tank? I've never done this before but have been looking for a cheap CO2 option for my low light set up. Please excuse my ignorance.
My tank is 300l - do they do bigger canisters of CO2 - if so would it be wise, with that size tank, to get a larger one?
And I might have missed it - are these canisters refillable or just need replacing when empty?
This is such a great idea if it'll work for my size tank

Hi :)

Yes the needle value controls the amount of CO2 going into the tank.

They don't do larger cylinders, so for larger tanks check this out viewtopic.php?f=34&t=266 its a bit more expensive to set up but the use of a 2kg FE makes is much cheaper in the long run.

The cylinders in this guide are disposable :)

Hope that helps.

Sam

Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing this CO2 setup design. I have successfully managed to build the rig but I have problems with controlling the amount of C02 going into the tank.

(tank details: planted Fuval Osaka 155 liters)

During the day things are fine drop checker, lime in color, but overnight the C02 levels get to high leaving the fish gasping at the surface.

Could anyone recommend a solenoid that work on this setup? Also link to item on ebay would great!

sorry to be so needy!

Danny

sorry to bring up a oldish post. I have actually just bought all the gear needed for this setup but also wondering if you can get a solenoid that fits straight into the regulator? I take it the solenoid would need to have a male 1/8 bspt thread on one end and then the other end would be for the 6mm tube? or could i connect my needle valve to the other side of the solenoid?

only reason i want this setup instead of a FE is to try and save space. Not got much room in my tank cabinet now.

Thanks for a great guide. I was going to buy one of those co2 things that you add yeast and sugar but think this is alot better.

JBL do a co2 regulator to reg adaptor - here are the shortcuts and picyies if you want to try it, its a bit dear but you can diconnect the joint and reconnect when ever you please.

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquariu ... o-496.html and TGM sell them as well.

6357700_2.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Regards
Paul.

Back