• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Cheap, reliable PAR meter (or alternatives)?

MichaelJ

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a cheap and reasonably reliable PAR meter? (or is that an oxymoron? :) ) or perhaps an alternative way to measure my light at the substrate level that with reasonable confidence can be translated into a PAR reading as opposed to me just guesstimating based on LED wattage equivalents. The "cheapest" PAR meters I have been looking at all runs in the $300-400 USD range.

Cheers,
Michael

plantnoobdude

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a cheap and reasonably reliable PAR meter? (or is that an oxymoron? :) ) or perhaps an alternative way to measure my light at the substrate level that with reasonable confidence can be translated into a PAR reading as opposed to me just guesstimating based on LED wattage equivalents. The "cheapest" PAR meters I have been looking at all runs in the $300-400 USD range.

Cheers,
Michael
have you looked in to clubs renting out par meters?

john6

I would try to rent one if possible, if not then Seneye reef here too, i set up my reef tank lights using the seneye meter, good little meter.
The trouble is they are a use once item, once you know your pars you dont need it anymore so if you bought one you could rent it out.

MarcusA

What do people here think of the Photone app with an Iphone? I can't say if it's accurate, having nothing to reference it to, but it at least seems self-consistent. I think it's useful, based on my experience.