• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheaper aquarium chillers from aliexpress anyone?

Yes salt water soon rots the stainless steel that is used in beer coolers, from my experience it takes about 9-12 months although some seem to last longer.
All chillers are best placed outside or at least remote from the tank that need cooling as they produce lots of warm air!
I have lived my life in a fishing community and where I live, beer coolers are used in their hundreds by fishermen wanting to keep live bait in cool sea water.
In more recent years folk have invested in more modern equipment, like insulated and filtered fiberglass tanks fitted with titanium coil chillers. Although it is almost pointless now as there are so few fish in the sea left to catch!

Yes something like that, there will always be a certain degree of moisture in the air... Then if air speeds up and is compressed through an heat exchanger and the moisture in it actually condenses and warms up again and evaporates and this process of energy exchange from water to vapour then the vapour takes the heat from the surface with it. If the air humidity is higher and relatively saturated this process is less effective because evaporation is suppressed and thus will cool down less.

Therefore we humans experience a relatively warm day with high air humidity much warmer and less pleasant and soggy as in the same temperature in less air humidity. Because our sweat evaporates faster in lower air humidity then we cool down more and makes it feel less soggy.

Or if you are riding on a bike at 30°C it feels cooler, but the wind is still 30°C. The wind actually makes you evaporate faster i guess that's what makes it feel cool even tho it still the same temperature as if you were standing still.
You are a legend! Thanks!

to keep things tidy, I installed my chller in the cabinet under my tank. I keep the door wedged ajar and there are 3 USB fans exhausting the hot air. But I'm only running it to reduce temps 3-4 degrees below ambient temp, so the chiller doesn't work that hard or get that hot.

to keep things tidy, I installed my chller in the cabinet under my tank. I keep the door wedged ajar and there are 3 USB fans exhausting the hot air. But I'm only running it to reduce temps 3-4 degrees below ambient temp, so the chiller doesn't work that hard or get that hot.
That's what I am aiming for as well aquarium temp is around 27-28. 3-4 degrees down would 24-25 which would be perfect. Maybe I will be buy you have been very encouraging and reasoursful

Do you know how much wattage it's using in your case?

Back