• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Check out my plan before I begin...

kevkev

Seedling
Hello all,
This is an awesome forum you guys are brilliant.

I recently had a nasty disease wipe out my fish. I still have plants, inverts, driftwood with java fern quarantined and in good shape. I am going to use this opportunity to start over. Its all a bit complex for a beginner like myself, so please, look over my plan before i get started.

TANK
25 gallon tall (1' x 2' footprint)

SUBSTRATE
2 Bags of Seachem Flourite Dark 15.4lb / 7kg each

LIGHTING
1 T-5 full-spectrum 14 watt
1 T-5 6700k 14 watt
i have a glass hood, so i can add another strip of lighting if you guys say the word

FILTRATION
Marineland 150gph hang on back with biowheel

CO2
20 oz DIY yeast CO2 diffused under a trap running against small powerhead current

FERTS
flourish
flourish excel
flourish iron
I guess I rely on fish for N, P, and K ?

PLANTS and INVERTS
I plan on getting Nerite snails
Java fern on driftwood
Wisteria
3 Cherry Shrimp
1 Amano
3 Ghost
Getting some red plants would really accent the red slate cave arrangement.

Also, let me know what you think of these ideas:
Its only 25 gallons, so i was thinking of running an airstone at night to help reduce pH swings?
Do i need a drop checker for yeast CO2?
Remove biowheel, somebody at LFS told me it cuts down on splashing keeping CO2 up.
Add another 20 oz reactor offset by a few weeks to smooth CO2 production?
Should i scrap CO2 all together and rely on Seachem Excel?
With the substrate, there was also red and black available at LFS. Should i concern myself with their chemical differences?
I also have a marineland 100gph i could put on I heard circulation is good, but I thought i would save that for quarantine tank.

Thanks for your help, I am really excited. I didn't know where else to post this multifaceted topic.

kevkev said:
FERTS
flourish
flourish excel
flourish iron
You can't 100% reply on fish for NPK, you're better getting Tropical Plant Nutrition Plus (TPN+) for an all in one fert solution. In addition, excel is a liquid carbon source. If you're doing yeast co2 then this isn't needed although some use liquid carbon for limiting algae and supplementing the co2 gas.

kevkev said:
Its only 25 gallons, so i was thinking of running an airstone at night to help reduce pH swings?
This isn't really needed, pH swings aren't considered a problem if it changes due to co2 injection. Although some use it to make sure they don't gas their fish with co2.

kevkev said:
Do i need a drop checker for yeast CO2?
Yes, it'll help you see the concentration of co2 in the water. Remember to get 4dkh water with the reagent. Remember that the drop checker ignores liquid carbon.

kevkev said:
Add another 20 oz reactor offset by a few weeks to smooth CO2 production?
Good idea, yeast based co2 injection can cause fluctuations in co2 production. That's one of the reasons why people move to pressurised co2.

kevkev said:
Should i scrap CO2 all together and rely on Seachem Excel?
Some use liquid carbon only, although inverts don't live overdosing of it. Although this could work out expensive in the long term.

FERTS
flourish
flourish excel
flourish iron
You can't 100% reply on fish for NPK, you're better getting Tropical Plant Nutrition Plus (TPN+) for an all in one fert solution. In addition, excel is a liquid carbon source. If you're doing yeast co2 then this isn't needed although some use liquid carbon for limiting algae and supplementing the co2 gas.

If I acquire TPN+, what would my fertilizer scheme be? It seems like I would be replacing Flourish, the only one I already have opened... figures. I think complimenting CO2 with Excel could be a good idea for both carbon and... algeacide (I read up). TPN+ made no mention of potassium on their site. Where am I getting Potassium from?

I read that substrates from big names should all be okay. Seachem Flourite doesn't seem to be terribly popular on here though. Should I add in something beneath like jbl soil or sphagnum? From an aquascape perspective, will red flourite and red slate hardscapes be too much red? What short foreground plants can I break it up with and good for the beginner?

I'm off to browse a different LFS, hopefully get a drop checker and 4dkh. I'm trying to get this rolling before school starts, right now professors are striking. Pictures soon. Thanks for the guidance.

kevkev said:
If I acquire TPN+, what would my fertilizer scheme be? It seems like I would be replacing Flourish, the only one I already have opened... figures. I think complimenting CO2 with Excel could be a good idea for both carbon and... algeacide (I read up). TPN+ made no mention of potassium on their site. Where am I getting Potassium from?

Have a look at http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm, it shows the concentration of K in TPN+. You'd dose only TPN+ as it's considered an all in one fert.

hi Kev,

In answer to one of your questions, the red flourite appears more like an orangey brown. The lighting wasnt great here but here is a pic of it. i wanted the brown and someone did me a favour and got some going cheap and got the wrong colour. it looked ok so i went with it, then wished i'd just sold it on.
ped2.jpg

Flourites also quite jagged for a substrate so not really good for corys or plecos.

If you already have flourish, i would use that up, and then get some Tropica. For NPK you can get dry ferts(much cheaper) at http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... 14_145_146 and theres a good fert calculator for making fert solutions up or adding dry to tank. Google or use the search on here for :chucks planted calculator.

Cheers
Julia

Julia, you are right about Flourite Red. Why do they call it red? Most of it rinsed away. I actually had the darker colour at home but then switched before i read your post. I feel your pain. Anyhow, your tank looks quite healthy and crisp.
Flourites also quite jagged for a substrate so not really good for corys or plecos.
Hopefully I can get a nice plush grass mat growing for the bottom feeders to lay on instead of flourite ;)

Have a look at http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm, it shows the concentration of K in TPN+. You'd dose only TPN+ as it's considered an all in one fert.
Bah! I wish i got TPN+. Thanks for clarifying. This could all be good if it forces me to learn about powders and save money. Tell me if I am wrong, but it looks like I just need Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate. Lemons are starting to look like lemonade.

Hi kevkev
kevkev said:
looks like I just need Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate.
You will also need the Trace elements too.
Some people also add Magnesium in the form of MgSO4 (Epsom Salts to you and me :lol: ). I've tried it both with and without and did not see any difference. Must be plenty in my tap water.

Chris

I am getting ferts in the mail today, but I believe according to Chuck's online fert dosing calc I will be underdosing Potassium... looks like i might have to go shopping again. Her are some pics of the new tank with the dust settled. Yet to add is a driftwood covered in plants and shrimp.

DSC_0002.jpg

yes, that is a gallon yeast C02 generator... drop checker is coming in the mail just in case. The stand is a refurbished oak antique ice box, I ran tubes out the drain 8)

DSC_0006.jpg

Hygrophila difformis, Nesaea pedicellata, Sagittaria

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

unsightly, i know

Back