• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Check out these LED panels! I'm thinking of using them over

ukapstt77

Hey Guys

Has anyone tried these out?

I know a lot of people have been doing some DIY LED lighting projects but just thought I'd post this as:-

They're a good price, use hardly any watts, put out loads of light and last 10years!

You get 3 12.25inch x 12.25inch square panels, each covered in 225 top quality LEDS and they only use 14w per panel, total cost is $119/£78 inc P&P (I'm not the seller buy the way :D )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/675LED-All-White- ... 1|294%3A30

There's also another guy selling a strip light version that's 4ft long and has 276 LEDs, it also lasts 10years and uses 15w. It also puts out 100w of light!

check it out
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUARIUM-LED-LIGH ... .m63.l1177

What do you guys think about them?

I'm considering getting the 3 12x12 panels for my 55ukG tank and I also want them for my future Mbu Puffer tank which is going to be 10ft w x 5ft d x 3ft h.

Do you think these LED lights will penertrate through 3 ft of water?

How many 12x12 LED panels do you think I'd need to light the whole Mbu tank?

I'd love to hear your thought's and suggestions

Thanks

Re: Check out these LED panels! I'm thinking of using them over

Nearly sure I read over on APC of someone using the LED panel in the first link and it was not successful for them, could be a different panel, could be a different seller, I dont know. I would research the threads over on APC with LED in the thread name in the lighting section to double check. It was a while ago so my memory is a bit hazy. It looks very similar anyhow.

Edit: I see you have a question over there already, hopefully somebody will reply, perhaps the original poster I referred too. I have a feeling the other LEDs came via hong kong, so a different seller anyhow.

Thanks for replying Peter

What ever I find out about these LEDS I'll let you know :D

From all the reading I was doing the normal LEDS don't cut the mustard :(

I would question anyone that is stating in their advert (the second one):

'Gives 100W of light for just 15W'

AC

SuperColey1 said:
From all the reading I was doing the normal LEDS don't cut the mustard :(

I would question anyone that is stating in their advert (the second one):

'Gives 100W of light for just 15W'

AC
Not sure if they reallky are the best LED's but in the first one they state that they've tested loads of LED's and these are the best?!

These one's are red and blue LED's by the same people but they say the light output/floor coverage is Rec. coverage: 16 sq. ft. Max. coverage: 260 sq. ft.(I take it this is using all 4 panels)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/900-LED-Hydroponi ... 1|294%3A30

I've also just found these which have less LED's on them but it states they are:-

12w

also last 10years

cost £7 to run for a year

Tests have shown that a 12w AquaBeam produces up to 33% more illumination at 50cm than a 24w compact fluorescent aquarium fitting.

http://tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquaray-lighting.asp

They might be good for a smaller 55g tank

What do you think

Just so you know guys, I've posted this thread on about 5 different forums just to get a wide scale of feedback and I just got one guy reply who has bought both kinds of LED fixtures from both sellers!

In short he said the 4ft fixture is great and he has it over his FW, he said the square panels are crap!

Here's his reply:-
So I own both sets of these lights. I was thinking the exact same thing you are. The one that is a square sold by MIX Wholesale suck. They throw light straight down in a circle smaller than the frame of the light and none anywhere else. They are like LED spot lights. The other ones sold by Frog Food Half are sweet. The problem I found with the three foot light is the two I bought have both failed with in three months. I am currently running the 4 foot tube ad it is working great. The problem with the two that I bought is that they were lights that went into a fixture and the one over my salt tank got water inside the tube thru vent holes and started having the lights fail as they corroded. the other one had the cap loosen and and break the wires inside. So far the 4 foot light that is it's own tube and fixture has held up for about a month now over a fresh water tank. I really love the light they give off and the low power usage but the quality is what you pay for. The biggest down fall of these lights is moisture gets in the vent holes and causes havoc on the lights wiring inside. I am thinking of sealing all the vent holes but I am afraid they may get to hot and burn the house down. So a long post even longer I would recomend them and I am going to use them when I buy my 270 but be prepared to tinker with them a bit to get them working right.

The guy says freshwater tank but it is it planted? There's no doubt that any LED setup can be as good as other lighting appearance wise but we are talking about wether they supply enough 'real' light for use in planted tanks / marine tanks!!!

They do seem pretty expensive to me though for the risk. George Farmer has used the TMC ones but they use high power LEDs not the normal ones. Works out very expensive though which is why many of us have/plan to make our own DIY setups.

AC

Back