• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chemical media

Mattant1984

Does anyone use any kind of chemical media in their filter just to give a little extra clarity to the water without removing anything important from the water such as ferts etc

Hi @Mattant1994 It's been many many years since I last used Activated Carbon (AC) and its not my impression that many around here are using AC. In recent years I have used Seachem Purigen on-and-off which worked well in my case - I don't believe Purigen will do anything detrimental to the fertilizers you dose - only the organic compounds that would otherwise eventually break down and become Ammonia, Nitrates etc., but if your using botanicals (almond leaves, moss etc.) it will reduce some of the beneficial effects coming from the tannins / organic compounds released from the botanicals.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Mattant1994 It's been many many years since I last used Activated Carbon (AC) and its not my impression that many around here are using AC. In recent years I have used Seachem Purigen on-and-off which worked well in my case - I don't believe Purigen will do anything detrimental to fertilizers you dose only the organic compounds that eventually breaks down and becomes say Nitrates, but if your using botanicals (almond leaves, moss etc.) it will reduce some of the beneficial effects coming from the tannins / organic compounds.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks for the comment, I have used purigen in the past and it's good so as long as it doesn't remove anything beneficial I might give it a go again

Well there are lots many are in liquid form but for a proven performer and cost effective Purigen is probably what is most recommended.

Back