• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry Shrimp Water

Hi all,

I am just curious if my water would be suitable to keep cherry shrimp healthily with a GH of 8 and a KH of 15?

Are these parameters too high? Is anyone keeping them in similar water parameters?

Jason

GH is good, not sure about KH. I have about GH8, KH7. Are these tap or tank water values? If tap, the KH in tank could be lower if you have active soil.

You should be ok, id do a long drip acclimatisation, maybe only buy a few to start with to see how they get on and for your peace of mind as well

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Those results are tank water, the KH from the tap reads 20 but the testing is done using test strips so not very accurate to begin with. I will take your advice and try just a few with a long acclimatisation.

@Steve Buce , I have had cherry shrimp breeding in my tank for the last 3 months or so, but I see less and less adults over time. I have a 21Gh and kH12. Could the adults just be dying of age? They could only be about 6 months old and I have not physically seen any dead shrimp.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates ~40ppm

Given that I am using London tap water, I can't get the nitrates much lower as I have about 30ppm coming out of the tap.

Were the shrimps you bought already adults? Other shrimp or snails could be eating the dead ones, or they were the back of your tank out of sight and just decayed

Regarding tap water, short of cutting your water with R O, starting gradually and testing params as you go, till you are happy, but imo even if params are off, the shrimp will prefer stabillity rather than a yoyoing which will cause even more stress

To lower nitrate, use lots of floating plants, elodea densa, brazilian pennywort etc to help soak up the nitrates

HTH

Were the shrimps you bought already adults? Other shrimp or snails could be eating the dead ones, or they were the back of your tank out of sight and just decayed

Regarding tap water, short of cutting your water with R O, starting gradually and testing params as you go, till you are happy, but imo even if params are off, the shrimp will prefer stabillity rather than a yoyoing which will cause even more stress

To lower nitrate, use lots of floating plants, elodea densa, brazilian pennywort etc to help soak up the nitrates

HTH

Thread bump. Can Cherry Red Shrimp handle planted tanks with injected Co2 and E.I Fertilisation?

Thanks

Thread bump. Can Cherry Red Shrimp handle planted tanks with injected Co2 and E.I Fertilisation?

Thanks

Absolutely, Don’t mind co2 and EI, along with high non organic nitrates (what’s in the tap and plant food). No problem 😃

They’ll only have an issue, just like amano shrimp with ammonia from excess food, waste etc.

They love big water changes, Are rock hard and will live in the filter if sucked in.

Just bung them in your tank, happy days!

Last edited:
Absolutely, Don’t mind co2 and EI, along with high non organic nitrates (what’s in the tap and plant food). No problem 😃

They’ll only have an issue, just like amano shrimp with ammonia from excess food, waste etc.

They love big water changes, Are rock hard and will live in the filter if sucked in.

Just bung them in your tank, happy days!

Thanks very much, great news. Although I just read somewhere that you shouldn't put them in a tank with freshly bought plants, because they supposedly contain chemicals which will kill the shrimp.

I never heard that before. I was going to put them in here, but I only out the plants in yesterday.
20200727_150158.jpg
20200727_145750.jpg
20200727_145810.jpg

If you plants were grown in the EU they should be safe, and the supplier can tell you for sure. If imported from outside the EU they are treated with pesticides to meet the import regulations; in that case there are ways of cleaning or neutralising them, but as they are already in your tank you will just have to do water changes to dilute them.
I can't see the front of the labels in your pic; if you Google the grower's name you should be able to get the info.

If you plants were grown in the EU they should be safe, and the supplier can tell you for sure. If imported from outside the EU they are treated with pesticides to meet the import regulations; in that case there are ways of cleaning or neutralising them, but as they are already in your tank you will just have to do water changes to dilute them.
I can't see the front of the labels in your pic; if you Google the grower's name you should be able to get the info.

Hi, and thanks for your response. Most if not all plants are from Tropica. Any that aren't all the labels are in English. I think they are safe.

Steve

Tropica potted plants are safe, - grown in Denmark. But they also sell some non-potted bunch plants, which they don't grow in their own greenhouses and those are not guaranteed to be free of pesticides. So if yours were all potted you are safe.
Tropica

Back