• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry shrimps eggs

FishKeeper55

I noticed our cherry shrimps laying eggs, and looks like one of them still have some more to lay, on one of them photos you can see couple orange bits in moss, I have counted about 7 so far and they very tinny, you can just make out legs ect, but it looks like there will be more soon. I'm happy to have few around tank but what do you do with the rest if population gets out of hand?

IMG-20200929-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20200929-WA0001.jpg

Your "population" will expand without much doubt. When I started with Red Sakuras, I could easily count them all without having to take my shoes and socks off. Now there are hundreds.

Nice to know also the parameters are good for the shrimp to hatch eggs :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
I noticed our cherry shrimps laying eggs, and looks like one of them still have some more to lay,
They have what is called "advanced reproduction", where the eggs hatch (from the swimmerets (pleopods)) as perfect tiny replicas of the adult shrimp, which can start feeding on the biofilm straight away.

This makes them a lot easier to breed compared to shrimps with "primitive reproduction", where the larvae go through several planktonic stages (cypris, naupliid), and are released at a much smaller size.

cheers Darrel

I'll apologise in advance for being pedantic. I'm pretty sure you meant "hatching" and not "laying". Cherry shrimp do not lay eggs- they carry the eggs on their bodies, under the swimmerets, and they hold onto them until the free-swimming baby hatches out.

I'm pretty sure you meant that the eggs are hatching, because you mentioned seeing legs. But this forum has a lot of readers/lurkers. So, I will say that if you actually see a cherry shrimp dropping its eggs unhatched, that's a problem (often caused by a stressed shrimp), and the offspring will not survive unless you have, or devise, an "egg tumbler" to keep them moving around (as the mother does under her swimmerets). Personally I think tumbling dropped shrimp eggs is too much effort considering the ease with which cherry shrimp breed, but I know some shrimp keepers feel differently- to each their own.

Again, I know this sounds pedantic and I'm sorry for that, I don't mean to insult you.

@lilirose If this reply was aim at me no offence taken at all, I maybe should have been more clear, what I meant was I found 7 live little shrimps and they absolutely tiny, you can just make out they moving, then notice the adult shrimp having sort of yellow eggs inside the body. I didn't know if they leg eggs or something but all them replies are helpful 👍

Hi all,
I didn't know if they leg eggs or something but all them replies are helpful
She had loads and loads of eggs, she obviously likes life with you, you must be a Cherry Shrimp whisperer, or <"Marvin Gaye"> fan?

In all Shrimps, Prawns etc the fertilised eggs are retained at the top of the legs, near the gills, where the female can pump oxygen through them and remove any bad ones etc. The difference is just when the young are released, and what stage they are in.

You can tell the adult female shrimps, even when they aren't carrying eggs, by the <"Saddle" of unfertilised eggs in the abdomen">.

cherry_shrimp_saddle.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back