• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros A series rough guess

Soilwork

Can anyone estimate what class of light I would have using a Chihiros A series (60cm) at a height of 50cm?

High, Med or low?

Thanks

At 50 cm above the water surface I would say low... or you mean water collum height is 50 cm than I think it would be moderate or medium

At 50 cm above the water surface I would say low... or you mean water collum height is 50 cm than I think it would be moderate or medium

The tank is 40cm high so 50cm light to substrate.

Hi,
here you have teh 120cm model, it's a clue.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-power-of-light.43178/

With 2 fixtures you can grow HC in lower part of the scape... (it's more a question of uniform distribution i believe)
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/crystal-mountain.42683/

cheers

Thanks. I have already read both of those threads before. It does give me a slight clue but the fixtures are not the same. Are you suggesting I get two or would that be way too much? I'll be running pressurised.

Tank looks great btw.

speedy gremlins!

don't worry about that 12 of air, it's minimal effect compared to the water

I think 2 fixtures would be better... at the beggining you can use just one, later on both. And get a dimmer in case you will need to dim a little bit to get more control of the light.

I though they were already dimmable? It seems hinterfeld advocate the use of two to grow HC

I think the led's used are the same in all lengths.
Light power is very uniform along the fixture, some decrease in the top's, as expected.
I 'guess' the values will be very similar for different sizes.
The support will be around 6,5 cm to glass, more 1 or 2 cm to water.
The fixtures a very thin, so if you need good coverage maybe two will be better... But that's a lot of light.
Dimmer's are a weakness point (already in the pack), tend to heat a bit (must be a simple circuit, read here in ukaps an older topic about that).

I have two 60cm (Chihiro knock offs!!) and one original 30cm Chihiro. The 30cm Chihiro runs very cool if you dim one level below maximum. The 60cm units haven't been tested with water yet but I plan to run then at level 4 (total levels are 6) to get even coverage of a 60x45x45.

Didn't @ShawnMac test the Chihiro PAR as well?

I have two 60cm (Chihiro knock offs!!) and one original 30cm Chihiro. The 30cm Chihiro runs very cool if you dim one level below maximum. The 60cm units haven't been tested with water yet but I plan to run then at level 4 (total levels are 6) to get even coverage of a 60x45x45.

Didn't @ShawnMac test the Chihiro PAR as well?

This topic?
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/45-cm-iwagumi-ish-aquascape.42176/
the support is different, seems higher (aquasky version?)

Doesn't the dimmer heat's?
cheers

This topic?

Doesn't the dimmer heat's?
cheers
Not at all. I only run my lights for 8 hours at a time though.

Dimmer looks like this:

mN_1-iUM7JIWYKEsJu_c5MQ.jpg

Thanks everyone. The light is for an aquaopti. I've just ordered one light fixture for now. I'm just going to see how this one does. If I order another id be in the price realms for a more expensive fixture and if it two turns out to be too much light it would mean more co2. I've just downsized my aquarium to save space and money but having to use more co2 would be counter productive. I'll see how I get on.

Thanks again.

one light at 50cm to substrate will grow anything you need, including HC which you can see in my journals at a similar distance. HC will also grow with one unit dimmed, good co2 distribution is more important than really high light.

Hi, I've one 50cm a series on a fluval spec v - it's very bright but variable using the dimmer & floating plants. Hinterfeld post output in lumens for each model on their website. If you've 'downsized' have you the 55litre 40cm cube? I'd think it would be medium to high light? But if you don't want to use co2, liquid co2 may not be too expensive for a tank this size as an alternative?

Back