• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chinese Elm ?

Dr Gibbon

Seedling
Hi Guys I'm in the process of setting up a nano tank for shrimp and am wondering if anyone has any experience of using chinese elm wood in aquariums? I have a bonsai trunk that died a few years ago that I was hoping to put in the tank. Obviously I'll boil and soak it first, I remember someone posting about using bonsai trunks but dont remember if it was on here or another site. Any advice really appreciated. Cheers

I think the general rule is that if it is not a tree like fir, pine etc then it should probably be OK in your tank. If it smells of sap, you might want to leave it! It may float but you could let it soak for a while. It might also help to remove the bark so that it doesn't rot. Hope this helps!:)

Thanks James really useful advice re striping the bark, I'd not thought of that...........................:bored:

Back