• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Choosing a filter for 65 liters aquarium

Petar Chernaev

Seedling
Dear All,

I would like to get some help in choosing a canister for a planted tank of 65 liters. I am leaning towards Oase BM Thermo 250 or 350. What I am interested to learn is:
  • Has the issue with Oase BM burping air been resolved with the latest modifications of the filter head?
  • How would you rate the Oase heaters? Are they noisy? Do they keep the temperature stable?
  • Would you suggest the 250 or the 350 for a 65 liter tank. Will the 350 be way too strong for a tank this size? I read of people using the 350 on 60p tanks.
I will probably get the 350, but help and advice before I buy would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I am no expert but It will depend on your fish stocking levels. If you have the 250 then you would have about 72cm, adult size) of fish excluding the tail.
If you went to the 350 then you might be able to have a few more cm of adult fish. The 250 will give you about 5.5l/h real flow the 350 will give you about 6.8l/h.
A lot of people are saying that real turnover should be about 5l/h. Some fish do not like high flow, this can be sorted using spray bar or lily pipe.

I am sure someone will answer your question much better than me.
But they will need to know type and quantity of fish. A pic says a lot about your setup too.

Thanks. My intent is to keep very little fish if any at all. Primary concern would be the good flow for effective distribution of CO2. I will probably have a small school of mosquito rasboras and some shrimp. The tank is being planned now, not started yet.

I’ve got two OASE 600t in my living room, they are quiet enough that they are not annoying even with no tv or music on. The pre-filter makes weekly maintenance easy. Heater does a good job keeping the temp stable. From what I understand go with the 350 over the 250, for better flow rate as in practice rate is less than that advertised. The number of fish that can be kept is dependant primarily on the size of the tank and the type / species of fish.

Back