Choosing Aquarium Plants For Soft And/Or Hard Water

Wookii

Hi @jameson_uk

You can see an analysis of your tap water if you download a full water quality report from your water company's web site. Well worth doing. It will show you figures for calcium, magnesium and a whole lot more. I see that you are in Birmingham so you possibly get your water from Severn Trent. Just go to their site and follow the links. Easy peasy! It would be very interesting to know what your calcium and magnesium figures are.

JPC

I’m in the Severn Trent region, and unfortunately they don’t seem to list a number for Magnesium content, just general hardness - unless it’s listed under a name I don’t recognise (I’m no chemist!).

This is the page where a post code can be entered.

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

jameson_uk

Thanks, couldn't find it on my phone.
I found the average hardness stats which for my area state

Alkalinity (Average HCO3 mg/l) - 132
Calcium (Average Ca mg/l) - 54
Magnesium (Average Mg mg/l) - 9.68
Total hardness (average) - CaCO3 mg/l -
Total hardness (average) - Degrees (German) - 9.8

Although my hardness is slightly higher than that and I possibly get water from a neighbouring zone as I live on the border but it is in the right ball park I think.

jaypeecee

I’m in the Severn Trent region, and unfortunately they don’t seem to list a number for Magnesium content, just general hardness - unless it’s listed under a name I don’t recognise (I’m no chemist!).

Hi @Wookii

Obviously, I can't try the link as I don't live in your neck of the woods so don't have a valid post code. There should be an option to see a full water quality report. Magnesium will almost certainly be listed as its full name - magnesium - as opposed to Mg.

JPC

jaypeecee

Hi @Wookii

Obviously, I can't try the link as I don't live in your neck of the woods so don't have a valid post code. There should be an option to see a full water quality report. Magnesium will almost certainly be listed as its full name - magnesium - as opposed to Mg.

JPC

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I’m in the Severn Trent region, and unfortunately they don’t seem to list a number for Magnesium content,
They aren't obliged to report parameters where there isn't a legal limit. This means that for some of the parameters we are interested in (magnesium, phosphorus etc) levels aren't necessarily reported.

Because you are in Nottingham you may have appreciable levels of magnesium in your water for <"geological reasons">. This is the extent of the magnesian limestone deposit and and aquifer.

MagnesianLimestone.png

cheers Darrel

jameson_uk

Hi @Wookii

JPC
The actual water quality report for my area has everything like Boron, Manganese, copper, iron... But not magnesium. The figures above are from a second water hardness report I came across.

Wookii

Hi @Wookii

JPC

Try this: NG9 6QX (a local Tesco as I obviously don’t want to add my personal postcode on a public forum)

Wookii

Hi all,They aren't obliged to report parameters where there isn't a legal limit. This means that for some of the parameters we are interested in (magnesium, phosphorus etc) levels aren't necessarily reported.

Because you are in Nottingham you may have appreciable levels of magnesium in your water for <"geological reasons">. This is the extent of the magnesian limestone deposit and and aquifer.

MagnesianLimestone.png

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. Yes I do think there is a fair amount in the tap water. I know you don’t like test kits, but when I have used one for Mg the resulting reading is in the upper range of colour values.

Wookii

The actual water quality report for my area has everything like Boron, Manganese, copper, iron... But not magnesium. The figures above are from a second water hardness report I came across.

If you are Severn Trent too, I assume you’re seeing the same report as me.

Where did you get the additional water hardness report?

jameson_uk

If you are Severn Trent too, I assume you’re seeing the same report as me.
As above, my water comes from South Staffs not Severn Trent (I near enough live in Lichfield not Birmingham).
Looks like Severn Trent just give you the hardness and not a breakdown. I might be tempted to email them and ask if they can provide you with a breakdown as I suspect they have probably measured it.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I might be tempted to email them and ask if they can provide you with a breakdown as I suspect they have probably measured it.
They may do if they use ICP for the analysis, it simultaneously gives you a reading for all the metal ions. The advantage of this is that you don't need to shuffle through the lamps for one with an <"appropriate wavelength"> to find the emission spectra specifically for magnesium.

cheers Darrel

jaypeecee

Hi Folks,

I have just been reading a bit more of Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. There is a section in which she discusses hardwater natural habitats and the hardwater nutrients that are in plentiful supply in these habitats. Regarding Amazon Swordplants, she makes the comment that "They don't do well in tanks with softwater..." QED. I think that says it all.

JPC