• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Choosing ferts for beginner

Form a small tank like yours I would go with TNC complete. The time you will spend mixing up dry ferts etc vs the convenience of the ready made stuff...

I was thinking that alright just want to make sure there is no massive benefit with dry over ready to use! Thanks

There are massive benefits with the dry kit IMO - the trace mix ad macro mix are separate so it's more effective, it's cheaper (your not paying to have heavy water transported), more environmentally friendly and will last longer in storage.

Some people see iron deficiency in their plants when they use all-in-one" fertilisers because the iron reacts with the phosphate and precipitates out of solution becoming unavailable to plants when you add the all-in-one mix to the aquarium water (the pH of the liquid in the bottle is much lower and keeps the iron in solution). To get around this, they then have to add more of the all-in-one mix, making it even less economical.

Mixing the dry ferts takes like 10 minutes, probably about just as long as it would take to go online and order a new bottle of all-in-one, but it lasts longer and you wont be mixing up ferts very often at all, especially for a 19L tank.

All-in-one ferts are OK, and I use them rarely if I'm waiting for a dry salt order to be delivered so pick up a bottle of something with Prime same-day delivery or just from Pets@Home in the meantime, but it annoys me having to do that as they are more expensive and less effective.

There are massive benefits with the dry kit IMO - the trace mix ad macro mix are separate so it's more effective, it's cheaper (your not paying to have heavy water transported), more environmentally friendly and will last longer in storage.

Some people see iron deficiency in their plants when they use all-in-one" fertilisers because the iron reacts with the phosphate and precipitates out of solution becoming unavailable to plants when you add the all-in-one mix to the aquarium water (the pH of the liquid in the bottle is much lower and keeps the iron in solution). To get around this, they then have to add more of the all-in-one mix, making it even less economical.

Mixing the dry ferts takes like 10 minutes, probably about just as long as it would take to go online and order a new bottle of all-in-one, but it lasts longer and you wont be mixing up ferts very often at all, especially for a 19L tank.

All-in-one ferts are OK, and I use them rarely if I'm waiting for a dry salt order to be delivered so pick up a bottle of something with Prime same-day delivery or just from Pets@Home in the meantime, but it annoys me having to do that as they are more expensive and less effective.

Thanks for that! Regarding the mixes do you mean I need to get the ei dosing starter kit
https://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/ei-starter-kit.html

And the chelated trace elements kit
https://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/chelated-trace.html

Thanks

Fair shout about mixing to the quantities you need. You may also wish to consider a separate liquid ferts to achieve the same effect... up to go ultimately as to your confidence levels. :)

Back