• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chris' minnow breeder

chrisfraser05

Decided today I wanted something new for my fish... couldn't decide what lol

It was then I realised I keep banging on at the wife about spending less and starting to save so I should do the same... moreover I have loads of equipment just stilling doing nothing in the attic.

Thats when it hit me :)

I've got 6 cloud minnows in my community tank that used to belong to a friend.
They get on great in the tank but obviously due to the temperature of the tank they do not breed.

I've got a few tanks, filters, lights and all sorts stashed away so though why not lol

I decided to use my 35lt arcadia as its the nicest looking tank and used a sponge filter.

I've not used a heater as the house sits at around 19deg C year round and this makes it perfect for breeding minnows.

Next I've not used a substrate so its easier to clean but I've used some rocks that have been left behind from various scapes and also a load of java moss which has come from my daughters tank (which she got from one of my tanks) to provide a place for the spawning and also to help keep water conditions favourable.

To aclimate them gradualy to the tamperature I just filled the tank from my community tank and will let it cool down itself, should take about 24hours.

Heres a couple or three pics thumbs2:

DSC03442.jpg

DSC03443.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

Thanks for looking, chris

Good one dude, it is always nice to see people saving money, especially on our hobby which is already too expensive.

Get some more rocks in there, so that the eggs fall in between the cracks, even marbles would do. Also, put some more moss, if you have some.

Hope that they breed.

Back