Cichlids - Could they eat a blue lobster?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by skinz180189, 14 Dec 2009.

1. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

As per title really. There's a kid at work who tells me so much BS it's unreal, so I don't know when he speaketh the truth. He reckons he bought a blue lobster, and within a few days his Cichlids had eaten it.

Plausible?

2. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

what cichlid was it, i know a similar BS'er, but i tell him, you cant BS a BS'er :D

3. Nick16

Nick16 Member

:lol: a blue lobster that grows to like 30cm plus. :lol:
    one nip from that thing and its night night fishy, it would have to be a massive cichlid to get through the shell of a lobster (or the lobster would have to be practically dead on its back). But being it would have to be a big fish, it cant retreat fast so the lobster would probably give it a nip. and its not worth the fishes trouble.
    so it stinks of bull.

(unless it was a very baby lobster) but then it takes the 'wow' factor from the story.

4. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

i dunno, you say that nick, but an angry oscar could bite through it.

5. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I was thinking the same thing.. full grown oscar Vs baby blue lobster. I'd put my money on the Oscar.
    I'd ask the BS'er how big the fish in question were...

6. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

you'd probably get an answer back that is 3 times its real length :lol:

7. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

All I know about the Cichlids is they are Malawis. Not sure how big the lobster is/was lol.

8. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

nah, just another load of the stuff...

9. roadmaster

roadmaster Member

Lobsters ,crayfish, Molt and at this time they would be quite vulnerable to even small cichlids. they wouldn't need to be able to eat the lobster, during the molting,the lobster ,crayfish,have no protection as they shed their protective shells. the cichlids could simply peck at the poor devil till he was dead and then consume it bit by bit.

10. gratts

gratts Member

I've seen first hand a not quite fully grown Oscar eat a blue "lobster"(actually a crayfish). Took well over an hour to fully swallow it, with the antennae sticking out his mouth the whole time. So I've no doubt other similarly large cichlids could give it a good shot.

11. mr. luke

mr. luke Member

I doubt malawis would predate on any fairly sized lobster.....
    And if it was a small one he was being incrediably stupid putting it in with them in the first place.
    Id trust a lobster with my bichirs and ca\sa cichlids, so im fairly confident malawis would be fine....

12. roadmaster

roadmaster Member

I have seen malawi cichlids do just as I described in earlier post during the molting process that crayfish and lobsters go through. At this time the lobster or crayfish has no protection and the fishes will ,if given the opportunity, explore this weakness. Most of the attacks occur during the evening when crayfish is most active and may leave the safety of it's cave assuming one exists.