• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cichlids - Could they eat a blue lobster?

what cichlid was it, i know a similar BS'er, but i tell him, you cant BS a BS'er :D

:lol: a blue lobster that grows to like 30cm plus. :lol:
one nip from that thing and its night night fishy, it would have to be a massive cichlid to get through the shell of a lobster (or the lobster would have to be practically dead on its back). But being it would have to be a big fish, it cant retreat fast so the lobster would probably give it a nip. and its not worth the fishes trouble.
so it stinks of bull.

(unless it was a very baby lobster) but then it takes the 'wow' factor from the story.

AdAndrews said:
i dunno, you say that nick, but an angry oscar could bite through it.

I was thinking the same thing.. full grown oscar Vs baby blue lobster. I'd put my money on the Oscar.
I'd ask the BS'er how big the fish in question were...

Lobsters ,crayfish, Molt and at this time they would be quite vulnerable to even small cichlids. they wouldn't need to be able to eat the lobster, during the molting,the lobster ,crayfish,have no protection as they shed their protective shells. the cichlids could simply peck at the poor devil till he was dead and then consume it bit by bit.

I've seen first hand a not quite fully grown Oscar eat a blue "lobster"(actually a crayfish). Took well over an hour to fully swallow it, with the antennae sticking out his mouth the whole time. So I've no doubt other similarly large cichlids could give it a good shot.

I doubt malawis would predate on any fairly sized lobster.....
And if it was a small one he was being incrediably stupid putting it in with them in the first place.
Id trust a lobster with my bichirs and ca\sa cichlids, so im fairly confident malawis would be fine....

I have seen malawi cichlids do just as I described in earlier post during the molting process that crayfish and lobsters go through. At this time the lobster or crayfish has no protection and the fishes will ,if given the opportunity, explore this weakness. Most of the attacks occur during the evening when crayfish is most active and may leave the safety of it's cave assuming one exists.

Back