Cladophora, Blanket Weed

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Paulus, 14 Feb 2010.

1. Paulus

Paulus Member

just wondering how to get rid of this *#&$(#) algae. or how does in enters the aquarium? cause i heard it is a very hard algae to get rid off. is this right?

cause i am getting crazy here because of this algae :thumbdown:

2. Garuf

Garuf Member

It's as good as impossible to kill quickly it's one that you have to put a lot of let work into killing. Every day water changes black outs excell dosing decreased light lots of trimming and maintenance. It's basically a sign of poor management of co2 and once you have it it's more of a plant than other algaes so it responds to all the same stimuli that plants would so you can't just increase everything to get rid of it.

3. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all
    all the green algae have the same chlorophyll/accessory pigments as the mosses, ferns and higher plants, so any measure aimed at them will also effect the planted plants.
    cheers Darrel

4. Garuf

Garuf Member

What I mean is increasing CO2 won't kill it, like other algaes, it only incourages it to grow more vigerously. Same with increased ferts.

5. Paulus

Paulus Member

i removed alot by hand now. always a nice job to do. not :p