• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clean up crew suggestions?

paul.stopher

Hi,
Have just set up and cycled a Juwel 400 (Planted) and rehomed the fish from a much smaller tank. Could anyone point me in the right direction of a clean up crew for this large tank. Do I go few and large or lots and small?
Temp 28
ph 6.8
Gh 6

Stocking at the moment.
5 Cardinal Tetra
5 Black Neon Tetra
5 Cory various
2 otto's
To come
More Cardinals more Corys and hopefully a pair of rams.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Paul

In such a large tank, you could get somethin like 10 more Otos and quite a few shrimp - either Amano or Cherries (which will breed).

In my 720L i have around 20 otto's and probably around 20 amano shrimp, and a few CRS too.

I don't think you can have too many cleaner's in bigger tanks. :D

Thanks for the help. Looks like more otto's it is then. Forgot to mention any loach suggestions (snail clean up) for the soft water pref south american if there is such a thing . Have never kept shrimp they always looked like food to me. Are you sure they will be safe with the fish. Will ask this on the inverts page later.

thanks
Paul.

Shrimp will be fine with your fish - if they breed the shrimplets might get eaten but fully grown adults should be fine.

As for snail clean up crew, take a look at Botia Stiata. ;)

rawr said:
Shrimp will be fine with your fish - if they breed the shrimplets might get eaten but fully grown adults should be fine.

As for snail clean up crew, take a look at Botia Stiata. ;)

Yep, i'll second the Botia Striata. :clap:

I 3rd B. striata. A group of 6+ will shoal great in a big tank.

Awesome fish in their own right - not just as snail crew.

3567040232_bcd4fcb447.jpg

what about lda025 pittbull pleco same size as large Otto but different colour

Strange had been thinking of Botia Striata since reading one of GF's tank setups recently in PFK. 6 may be a bit out of my budget at the moment. What would be the minimum no. to keep them happy?

Thanks.
Paul

They aren't South American though - no loach species are. But then neither are the shrimp species you can get in the hobby here either so you may have to compromise there.

6 it is then. Glad I've got the room. The pitbull pleco looks great to as an alt to otto's. Decisions Decisions.
Thank you everyone for your imput. I'm new to planted tanks so this 400l has been quite a challange and still no where near how I would like it. Only been up and running 8weeks. When I am happy will post up a shot.

thanks again
Paul.

notice a couple of suggestions for shrimp but wont the water temp of 28c be too high for them?

Back