Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by mfcphil, 26 Feb 2010.

1. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

Interested to know what clean up crew you would suggest or what you have in your presurized Co2 planted tanks.

Snalis Shrimps Fish??

2. Nelson

Nelson Member

i've got oto's,sae's,a couple of panda cory's and about 150-200 cherry shrimp.

3. samc

samc Member

IMO you cant beat shrimps. if you get some cherrys in there they will breed like mad and they constantly clean :D

ottos are good glass cleaners which are reccomended too. i also have a SAE which is entertaining, they should be kept in groups though.

4. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

in my 35litre i have:

1x otto
    1x nerite snail
    about 20 cherry shrimp

the otto tends to keep the leaves of the plants clean whereas the snail tends to clean the glass and hardscape.

:thumbup:

edit: to add to what Sam said about the shrimp, mine are breeding, although the babies are being wipped up my my fish-white cloud mountain minnow :thumbdown:

5. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Phil

big tank 6 otto's & 8 platties, little tank 3 otto's and platties

Regards
    Paul.

6. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

are the nerite snails ok with co2....had these before but they all died

7. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

Is there a way to keep the shrimps population under control?

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Sell them! :lol: Either that, or don't put a fine strainer on your filter inlet. They'll get sucked into the filter as shrimplets and live in there, untill you clean out your filter of course.

9. FishBeast

FishBeast Member

I absolutely love shrimp. I think they rock. I also like Kuhli Loaches, I think they are cool too as they clean up excess waste in the tank. I never see mine though, they say you need to keep a few of them because they are shy and only come out at night.

10. Ben M

Ben M Member

i have a few otto's and 5 siamese algae eaters. i love shrimp, but unfortunately my kribs would eat them. :(

cheers :thumbup:

11. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

I have 4 ottos, 3 nerites, loads of CRS shrimp and 4 baby BN catfish. Will get some SAE as soon as I have a big enough tank. The nerites seem fine with my DIY C02, haven't lost any but they tend to spend most of time in the filter of my river reef tank, don't know if that is co2 related. One BN likes to rasp the leaves of my amazon sword. He would get evicted if he didn't belong to my son. The others are content to leave the plants alone.

12. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

I was thinking cherry shrimp. Would a pair of dwarf gourami's eat them though?

13. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

My dwarf neons didn't.

14. Stu

Stu Newly Registered

I've got 7 Amano Shrimp and 1 Medusa Pleco.
    Will soon be adding 3 Otos as well.

15. bumcrumb

bumcrumb Member

i brought 2 nerite snails last wednesday and they are now both dead.
    the zebra nerite was DOA i think :arghh: but the tired tread nerite was OK on Sunday,just checked now and he is dead(he was fury in only 3 days??)
    I'm a little worried now as i have ordered 10 cherries for tomorrow and i dont know if there is a problem now with the water :crazy:
    o well :arghh:

16. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    I don't think the Gourami will be all right with RCS. I bought some juvenile Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) on the grounds that they would be Cherry Shrimp safe, but they weren't.

I'm going to try a triplet (1m - 2f) of Thread-fin Ranbows (Iratherina werneri), although I was very taken with some Dwarf Dario sp. (possibly D. hysginon) (Labelled as "Red-spot Badis") I saw at the Melksham branch of MA the other day (although even these 2 options may eat the shrimplets).

cheers Darrel