• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning an Old Aquarium

AKD594

Seedling
Hi All

Quick question regarding re-setting up an old aquarium
I plan to set up an old 25L aquarium which I have kept in a shed for a few years (going low-tech planted).
Been checked for leaks, filter/lighting/heater all work fine (tank is a sicce moby 25L).
No history of disease

As it has been sitting on a shelf for so long, do i need to give it a clean with anything in particular to make it more safe for keeping plants and then eventually shrimp and some boraras rasboras?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the pointers, I'm off to get some now!
Looking forward to getting back into the hobby :)

Just to confirm, these are the steps I intend to take
  1. Clean any hard water marks off with vinegar
  2. Rinse
  3. Use Diluted Bleach (10%) solution to scrub down tank apparatus and fill tank with said solution (allowing to sit for 15 mins then drain)
  4. Heavily rinse
  5. Allow to fully dry out
  6. Fill tank with water & run with only water + overdosed dechlorinator overnight
  7. Empty and allow tank/apparatus to dry for a few days
  8. Set up as normal
I know this may seem like overkill but I'd rather this than jeopardize any substrate/plant/fish investments.
(I also thought this would be a helpful reference for anyone reading in the future)

Thanks in advance

I have used kitchen descaler eg Killrock, far superior than vinegar, and neat bleach to clean tanks before. As long as you rinse thoroughly and leave say 24hours with water in you will be fine. Don't mix descaler and bleach, you will end up generating chlorine gas, probably fine outside, but a tad smelly (and dangerous ?) inside.

Any left over descaler and bleach, after 24hours will quickly dissipate once you start setting your tank up.

Back