• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cleaning diffuser

jay

Hi everyone.

suddenly starting to get algae and detritus on the ceramic part of my diffuser. It usually comes off with a light brush but this stuff is staying.

read before about using a bleach solution but im worried about that.

Any ideas?

Nice. Guess as long as i rinse it well afterwards, the bleach wont be a problem.

Have to use my chisel diffuser for a bit, while I got the rhinox soaking :rolleyes:

When I do my water changes, the ceramic diffuser becomes exposed. All I do is add a capful of Flourish Excel to the disc while it is exposed, killing off the algae. No need for rinsing etc.

Dave.

Good thinking with the Excel.
I did the bleaching for a few hours, then left it in a glass of 50/50 water/de-chlorinator.
Then put it in clean water and burst the co2 through it for a few seconds to clear any cloudiness.

Put it in the tank and all is well.

What about vinegar??
I have to clean mine and have no clue what to use?
Easy Carbo, vinegar or bleach? Or all 3 at once?
What about shading the diffuser so it doesn't get light??
I was thinking to place a black plastic peace 2-3cm over it... did anyone try this before?

Dusko

Stick to bleach, It's given me the best results. Shading it will only slow growth you'll still need to clean it, once a week seems to be best.

I bleach for 5 minutes run under the tap then bleach for 10 then leave the whole lot in some dechlorinate for 20mins.

One thing to note is NEVER EVER add co2 while there is bleach on the diffuser, what ever it is that is produced made me gag,vomit and have what felt like the worst ever hangover.

Garuf said:
One thing to note is NEVER EVER add co2 while there is bleach on the diffuser, what ever it is that is produced made me gag,vomit and have what felt like the worst ever hangover.
Probably some form of chlorine gas... nice :wideyed:

I figured that. I was curious as to what would happen and What I found was that it doesn't do anything good, so don't do it!

Hi everyone
I use hydrogen peroxide (6% solution from Boots) and it works quite well. No need to worry that diffuser is rinsed properly after cleaning as H202 is mach more less harmful than bleach and decomposes very quick.

Regards

spider72 said:
Hi everyone
I use hydrogen peroxide (6% solution from Boots) and it works quite well. No need to worry that diffuser is rinsed properly after cleaning as H202 is mach more less harmful than bleach and decomposes very quick.

Regards

hi
I tried useing hydrogen peroxide and found it did nothing, I left it soaking while i was doing my weekly wc, about a hour or so and it shifted nothing! i even tried scrubbing the diffuser with a tooth brush, which only moved a small amount :?

So back to the bleach for me :)

Back